SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i got a question.

has anybody ever put a fan on their intercooler (like on a radiator)?

if not, why?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by choaderboy:
No room!</font>

Unless you take out the AC.

Seriously though, I can't see a fan doing anything for the IC unless you travel at under 20mph all the time. Stick your hand out the window to see just how much volume and pressure is created by your vehicle traveling down the road.

What I find interesting and played with a bit on my old RX-7 is finding low and high pressure areas, and creating ducting to help "pull" more air though the IC.

I made a pan on the bottom of the top mount IC on the RX-7 to exit on top of the trans tunnel (low pressure area) as it took in air from just in front of the cowl. (High pressure area) My inlet temps went down a lot just from that.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:

Unless you take out the AC.

Seriously though, I can't see a fan doing anything for the IC unless you travel at under 20mph all the time. Stick your hand out the window to see just how much volume and pressure is created by your vehicle traveling down the road.

What I find interesting and played with a bit on my old RX-7 is finding low and high pressure areas, and creating ducting to help "pull" more air though the IC.

I made a pan on the bottom of the top mount IC on the RX-7 to exit on top of the trans tunnel (low pressure area) as it took in air from just in front of the cowl. (High pressure area) My inlet temps went down a lot just from that.
</font>
I know that adding ducting to the IC's on the Z really seemed to help.

Mike

·
Registered
782 Posts
I guess the only benefit to having a fan constantly on the IC is at idle. I am in Arizona where it is hot as hell in the summer time, and sitting at a light can really raise the underhood temps. If you don't have the A/C condensor in , you could mount a "Pull" type fan there to help with temps at idle. Who would take A/C out though? Not me , for sure!

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

1 - 6 of 6 Posts