SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn! I think I just jacked up my alterator! I noticed the other day that there was little white marks on my valve cover and around my coolant hose. I rinsed it off with my garden and wiped everything down and did a quick inspect to see where it all came from. Looks like coolant sprayed or leaked from somewhere. But unfortunatley now I have a bigger problem..my dumbass failed to think about my alternator being right there. A couple of hours later I go to BK to grab something to eat and I notice my voltage gauge reading over 16 volts. I was like WTF! Then it stayed that way for a good...6 or 7 mintues, then it dropped down to the normal 14..then a little about minute later it dropped to about 13...then another couple of minutes it dropped to right above 12. I get home pull out the trusted Fluke MM and take a reading on the battery...13 volts..okay thats good...turn the car on take a reading from alternator...12.76...damn...alternator is gone...any ideas? Is it possible that it might not be completly shot? I don't feel like shelling out another 200 something bucks for a new alternator. FAwk!

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to keep you guys updated...hmmm...went out to the car this morning ..started her up...Voltage gauge reads 14 V...take a reading of the battery and the alternator...14 V...everything is fine. Hopefully it stays that way but for now things are looking cool.

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts