SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Army Boosted
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about the performance this cam produces. I got a set of JDM stock cams so before I bother to install them, i want to know if they'll be worth the while....so start writing!

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
I have a 98 SE-R and I have a 91 intake cam. My initial impressions of the cam are that it smooths out the powerband and top end is great. It pulls strong all the way to redline. If I had a JWT ECT, I might get a little more out of it, but the 200SX SE-R are cursed with the lower redline and speed governor. My car definitely has more power due to this cam. Plus, it doesn't affect emmissions or idle AT ALL!

If you have the cam, put in it. It doesn't hurt! It's a great bang for the buck kind of mod that you will enjoy until you get some JWT/JUN cams!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I got a 91 cam put in a few weeks ago. You don't notice a difference until around 4-5k rpm, then it you can feel it pull more than the stock cam did to redline. My idle has a slight lope to it now. I like it! If i had an exhaust, it would sound even better :)

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
After installing the Intake cam (exhaust shouldn't make a difference) I noticed a nice little increase around 4 grand and up...car pulls a little harder. Not a bad mod for the price..if you have it I definetley recommend you install.

·
Registered
727 Posts
With the JWT ECU, I can definitely notice a difference in the higher RPMS! I love taking her up to 7500 and hearing that engine growl and pull it up in the 120's!! It is definitely an awesome low budget upgrade! :D

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Definitely worthwile....I wouldnt bother with the exh cam...they are identical. You will notice it like the others are saying....the car has more balls in 3rd gear....do it baby!

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah i had te 91 intake cam installed on mine and after 4K it pulls alot harder. I couldnt imagine spending 600+ bux on "performance cams" when this cam for 100 bux gets the job done

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are the cams from a 91 NX2000 the same as the 91 Cams You guys are talking of? Reason im asking is that im in Canada, and 91 SERs arent avalable here.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
You are comparing a stock cam to performance cams though..you think you felt a good kick from a stock cam?..feel what you can get outta those $500.00 dollar cams before you say they are plenty...you will be surprised. I cant wait to get some S3's....

·
Registered
765 Posts
yes, I've driven a car with the S3 cams as well as the ECU, and a few other parts that i dont have on my car (pulleys, cai) and it was okay.. I actually dynoed higher than the car with S3's by 4 more hp and more torque. So, i'm feeling pretty good about my 100$ "stock" cam. It's all about the tuning, and I feel that Throttle Position Motorsports really turned my car into a beast.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Yes, it sounds like they did....148 is very nice. What did they do..?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Here's the work i've had TPM do to my car:

'91 cam, set the timing, installed the JW mounts, installed the SMC short shifter, and a few other lil things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts