SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an estimate from Aamco for $336 for labor alone. But I was wondering what I could expect the parts to cost to get a better idea of what the total might be. I know each case is different, but if you guys could throw me some numbers to give me an idea, I would appreciate it. And also, I plan on putting just a stock clutch in, how much HP can they handle? I dont have a lot done to the car, but I would eventually like to put in cams, ECU, header... mostly bolt on stuff. And I wont be drag racing, just autocross. It should handle it dont ya think? Thanks again!!

jason

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MarC, yeah, im going to be doing Englishtown this year. Im getting my SCCA license soon, just have to mail out the form.

G

·
Man I wish I could! I cant cuz they run on Sat. I am going to have to run with the South Jersay chapter cuz they run on Sun. MarK Schoenholz is running at e-town though. You better watch out for him! He is GOOD and is compleatly redoing his car this year. Motavational Suspension Nu-tech bars new bushings everywhere. He also hase the NX brakes but may go with the BABK.

MarC

·
Registered
858 Posts
I got the whole tranny rebuilt at aamco for about 1200 bucks and no prolems also a 1yr. warranty

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
858 Posts
The rebuild consists of replacing all the syncros (gears) and all parts that would normally wear on the tranny. So all in all, the rebuilt tranny is no different than a new one except the price. Just like an Altenator or starter. Only some parts wear out so you really don't need "NEW" stuff! Nissan dealers call it "REMANUFACTURED". Same **** though, REBUILT! save the scratch and do it through AAMCO and not the parasitic dealers. Plus aamco does only trannies 24-7 so who does it better than them? Don't get me wrong ,I love the nissan cars, but their service sucks! I've noticed that a G20 with the same engine gets treated with so much more enthusiasm and respect due to the extra $ spent. Money talks , bullshit walks! CREAM, get tha money dollar, dollar bill yall!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Dude , I never had the 5 th gear pop out problem thank god.I think it was cause I had the short throw shift and cut it aslow as possible since they came out, but I heard that was due to a bent shift fork maybe from resting the hand on the shifter. If it is due to the shift fork wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just get a new or used shift fork thatisn't bent? what do you guys think about this ? why do you need a new tranny? help him out guys cause this job is chaching ,big moola!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it could be from a bent shift fork, but I dont really think so because I never got into the habit of resting my hand on the shifter while I drove. I think the only way to know is to open the tranny up. And why do all the syncros if only 5th is giving me problems? I am concerned about my first gear syncro however, I have some problems getting it into first when I slow down but dont come to a complete stop. And maybe, I'll have the whole trans cryogeniclly treated and Swain coated!!! Or maybe I'm just full of it!

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
I'll sell you my 93 tranny with 110k miles on it. No 5th gear pop out. Shifts smooth too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks but no thanks. I would feel more at ease knowing its all new. Besides, just because its not popping out now doesnt mean it wont soon. My didnt start till the 118k mile mark.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
Thats wierd. Looks like I got lucky with my 91 engine and trans having 132k. No probs, knock on wood. I love my baby

·
Registered
858 Posts
I hear that 93w91!

------------------

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
OK OK. So does any one in here wanna buy a tranny from a 93 SE-R??? Or how bout a 91 that is damaged on the front left with no engine. Or maybe even a 93 parts SR20? I am moving and need to get rid of some stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts