SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to start off by saying hey to every one, and how happy i am that i found this board

i bought a 92 nx2000 about 5 months ago and i have loved it, but now the problems are poping up

but now maybe i can find some help

well this is whats happening, when ever i up shift or down shift into 2nd gear i get this horrid gear grinding sound. And yes the cluch is depressed all the way!

my guess is that my 2nd gear synchro is shot, just like my 5th gear synchro( damn thing pops out when i acclerate like so many other owners)

so i'm not sure what to do. i know theres not going to be a cheep way out... but what is the cheepest? i'm trying to start saveing for school so the more money i keep the better off i am!

Any help would be great
Thanks
Dan

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea syncros shot. Probaly going to require a full rebuild of the tranny. Call around to the various tranny shops. See how much it would be if you brought the tranny in already removed for a rebuild. You can save money that way usualy, given you have another car/truck you can take the tranny in to the shop with. Not that hard to drop the tranny and labor being usualy over 30 dollars an hour, well worth doing yourself. But tranny work isnt something anyone can do, so just get someone to rebuild it for yourself.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You may want to contact [email protected]
I know he's sells SR20 engines,and also rebuilds trannies. He can even have the trans case welded to reinforce it,and can get the gears cryo'd and shot peened for extra strength.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
off to the local tranny shop tomarrow, get some prices.
think i'm going to drop that guy a line too..
just not sure how much i want to blow on a car with 129k, looks like the random fixes are going to go well beyond what i payed for it.. and have yet to get to any custom stuff.
oh well my first car got to learn some where

L8er
Dan

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Let me know if you get a new tranny. I'd take the old one off your hands for cheap. I need an LSD equipped tranny and have time on my hands and the tools (I think) to fix it. I've got an itching to dig into a tranny to see how in the hell one works too.
Let me know

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced my 5th gear with 100K on the car. You might have someone else do it for you if you are not at all mechanically inclined, but if you like to work on your car at all try it yourself. It seems daunting at first, but believe me, it's really not that big of a deal. If you're thorough and detailed and FOLLOW THE FSM, you'll do fine. Afterall, it's all just a bunch of gears meshed together. Not that tough. I'd be glad to offer any help if you need any. It took me a grand total of 5 5-6 hour days to do that as well as the clutch and replace motor mounts. The actual tranny work took about 8 hours. The rough part is removal and installation. But if you're taking it out for someone else to do the job, you've already accomplished the hard part.

-gene

G

·
I think removing the tranny and putting it bacl will be the easiest part for Ben. I mean you have only done it what, 4 times now? Just be sure to use the bench press method.

MarC

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I can see myself now, all alone in my garage, on a creeper removing the tranny from the car and attempting to get out from under the car with a tranny on my chest... LOL guess it's possible

I'd just get Ben Moses to drive the 45 minutes here and help me if that were the case.

Plus Corrision's tranny would be shipped to me out of the car already, so that won't be an issue until I'll all done fixing it and swapping it in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from my first tranny shop visit.. the guy told me 2nd gear was out of block and of course the 5 syncro was bad. his quote was 700... i would try to do this my self but with school and work i have no time
looks like i am keeping this tranny sorry ben, but if there is more wrong then what the guy told me it will be cheeper to get a used one and i would be happy to part with the old.
L8er
Dan

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Huh? You can get a good used tranny for a lot less than $700. People have often got them for $450 shipped.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hummmm ok now i am set on doing this myself. but the problem seems to be building on its self, now my clutch is 100% gone. not even sure i could make it to the tranny shop
so even more reason to take on the project.
L8er
Dan
oh yea another thing... would any tranny from any sr20de engine work? or do i have to get one from like the same year range?

[This message has been edited by Corrosion (edited 03-04-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts