SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$3305.00 for a stage 4 suspension minus 10% as a forum member...wow. They also mentioned that they need my stock shocks. I'm assuming that they would use Koni inserts in my stock strut bodies. Any disadvantage to this set up?

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Son Of Skyline asked:
Any disadvantage to this set up?</font>
How much track/autox time do you have? By my reckoning, using standard BMW CCA Drivers' School rates of $300/weekend, you're paying the equivalent of 11 weekend events or between 33 and 44 hours of on-track time for this suspension.

Think you're a better driver than someone who's spent that much time on the track? If so, then by all means buy the suspension - just remember, we're talking about fractions of a second in real-world diffences here.

If not, buy the GC/AGX combo for under $1k and spend the rest on 23-30 hours of track time. You do this and I'll *guarantee* you'll be waaaay faster than a newbie on that Truechoice setup.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:
$3305.00 for a stage 4 suspension minus 10% as a forum member...wow. They also mentioned that they need my stock shocks. I'm assuming that they would use Koni inserts in my stock strut bodies. Any disadvantage to this set up?
</font>
Wow... that is crazy expensive! I knew they had raised the price since Mike K first got the set on his SE-R, but I didn't realize it was that big of an increase. They'll need your stock strut bodies, but I don't see how they'll fit the double-adjustable Koni inserts into them. Those inserts are really thick. I had to use Maxima and G20 strut bodies for my Koni double-adjustable inserts. I say the only disadvantage is the price... Otherwise, you'd be getting a real kick-ass suspension.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Se-Racer:
IMHO i would just use the motivational engineering set-up sounds about the same and is a hell of alot cheaper</font>
The Truechoice and Motivational suspensions ARE NOT the same. The only things they have in common are that they use Eibach ERS springs, they use Koni inserts, and they are shortened. The Konis that Truechoice uses are not the same as the ones Motivational uses. Truechoice uses externally double-adjustable inserts where the compression and rebound are adjustable. Motivational uses internally adjustable inserts where only rebound is adjustable, and you would have to remove the strut from the car every time to adjust rebound.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Son Of Skyline wrote:
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires</font>
I just noticed this - my best advice is forget the Truechoice. Go with Motivational's, as suggested, or the GC/AGX combo with 300/200 springs, anti-roll bars, and LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELS AND R-COMPOUND TIRES. I reckon this whole batch will cost you $2600 at worst, and you'll STILL have 6 to 8 hours (2 weekends) of track time left over. =;-)

SOS, you're just yanking our collective chains on this, right?

The driver is always your least expensive and most effective upgrade.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">$3305.00 for a stage 4 suspension </font>
Son,
I have no doubt this is one kick ass suspension. But, damn. Quite honestly, unless you are going wheel-to-wheel road racing in the Speedvision GT series, I cannot understand what would cause someone to spend that much money on shocks and springs (I assume that also includes springs? Gold ****ing plated too I hope)

Personally, I'd get the single adjustable Stage 2 and use the $1500 savings on a kick-ass ski trip or a week of diving off the coast of Hawaii (did I mention I have expensive hobbies?)

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Son,
I have no doubt this is one kick ass suspension. But, damn. Quite hinestly, unless you are going wheel-to-wheel road racing in the Speedvision GT series, I cannot understand what would cause someone to spend that much money on shocks and springs (I assume that also includes springs? Gold ****ing plated too I hope)

Personally, I'd get the single adjustable Stage 2 and use the $1500 savings on a kick-ass ski trip or a week of diving off the coast of Hawaii (did I mention I have expensive hobbies?)

</font>
LOL! I see what your saying, and I think I agree. But I dunno about $1500 for a week diving off the coast of Hawaii...I just spent 2 weeks there with my gf in Sept and it cost us over 3 times that!

Oh well, thanks for kicking some sense into me. I'll probably end up using the rest of the $$$ for 7psi of fun

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This might be off the topic but B&G suspension makes coilovers for our car and so does DMS of australia...Both are susposidely shortened struts and DMS offers 3 different kinds shock designs for $1700... http://www.dmshocks.com/docs/products.html the distributor told me they have a lot of applications for the b13 chassis w/ different spring rates cause people use it for rallying and roadrace.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SucKit:
This might be off the topic but B&G suspension makes coilovers for our car and so does DMS of australia...Both are susposidely shortened struts and DMS offers 3 different kinds shock designs for $1700... http://www.dmshocks.com/docs/products.html the distributor told me they have a lot of applications for the b13 chassis w/ different spring rates cause people use it for rallying and roadrace.</font>
Very interesting...

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Phase 2 is shortened. Maybe threaded body as well, but SlowSER knows for sure since he has a set.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phase 2 is shortened. Maybe threaded body as well, but SlowSER knows for sure since he has a set.

</font>
I just checked the Truechoice website. It only describes the Stage 4 as shortened.

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
SOS: Here's another (also expensive) option. Give Ground Control a call and ask them about their Advance Design struts. They have prototyped a set for the B13, and so I'm sure they'd have no trouble making them for you. It's double-adjustable, and the advantage over Koni is that both compression and rebound adjusters are at the top of the strut instead of rebound up top and compression at the bottom.

Just throwing out other ideas...

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (GC/Koni)
1998 200SX SE-R (GC/AGX)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
SOS: Here's another (also expensive) option. Give Ground Control a call and ask them about their Advance Design struts. They have prototyped a set for the B13, and so I'm sure they'd have no trouble making them for you. It's double-adjustable, and the advantage over Koni is that both compression and rebound adjusters are at the top of the strut instead of rebound up top and compression at the bottom.

Just throwing out other ideas...

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (GC/Koni)
1998 200SX SE-R (GC/AGX)
</font>
At $399 a corner, it seems like it would be on par with the Shocktek in pricing, and still $1000 cheaper than the TCS4 when you include the springs as well.

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts

</font>
They better be f%$ing shortened! They're illegal for IT (threaded collar permanently attached to the shock), too, so maybe I didn't get shortened shocks either.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
The Truechoice Phase II+ is shortened. To make sure, just measure your stock strut body length and the Koni's whenever you get them. If you check the se-r.net archives, I think Naji mentions how long they should be. I have the phase II+ setup with 300fr/250rr and love it. Naji and I had to get the shafts of the rear shocks lengthened though because they were topping out (well, unless you like your car REALLY low...).

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts