SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow... what a pain... getting the stock shift knob off.. i was about to resort to sawing it off.. then my buddy that is alot bigger than me got it off.. so now to my question..

are thier any aftermarket shift knobs out there that just twist on like a stock knob? im willing to shell out a descent amount of money.. my one friend got a cheapo one for his wrx.. and its really loose and falls off.. i want someting tthat twists right on in one second and is really sturdy.

i will get a Short throw in the future.. for now i just want a knob.

well hopefully thier is something out there.. and i apologize for the long post.

thanks in advance - chris

·
Don't call it a comeback
1,146 Posts
U like the Spec V knob? My parents have a SV and that knob simply drives me insane! I second the B&M short shifter idea...that knob always LOOKED nice, but I never have experienced it firsthand

·
boost virus infects me
836 Posts
Joes97turboSE-R said:
buy a B&M SS comes with a knob also. I have had mine 3 yrs and love it
I'm not that big of a fan of the B&M knob. Don't get me wrong. I love the short throw shifter, but that billet aluminium knob. It looks great but in the winter it makes your hand numb and in the summer it fries your hand. I made my own knob for the shifter.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I really like my Nismo GT knob. It's a DTM style knob. It screws on just like OEM knobs so you don't have to worry about it comming off in your hand. Physically it's constructed of steel with a thin coating of black rubber on top of it. The rubber looks like metal but since it doesn't heat up or freeze like metal I don't get burnt in the summer or frozen in the winter.

I think they go for about 40 or 50 now that you can buy NISMO parts through most dealerships. I've had it for about 4 years now and had to import it back then.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would go the b&m route.. but ive searched and read alot about ppl having noise issues with theres.. and it doesnt shorten the stock length.. just lessens throw.

·
Registered
846 Posts
SMC used to make one that was adjustable for throw and was shorter as well. I know they went out of business a few years ago, but they sold the design to Pacesetter and you may be able to still find one of them for sale. SMC's were supposedly better build quality but it's basically the same design.

All short shifters can rattle... it's just part of the cost of having one. I really wish it didn't because it can be annoying... but I'd never go back to driving an SE-R without one. It's like night and day in quality of shifting.

·
boost virus infects me
836 Posts
johnse-r said:
what short shifters out there are actually shorter in height?
I don't really know of any that are shorter height. They just shorten the throw. You could just put on a shift knob that goes farther down the shifter, to make it like it is shorter.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The SMC/Pacesetter design is shorter in height as well as shorter in throw. It's also adjustable. Do some searching on it, I'm sure there's still some information on it out there. I just saw one that sold for $50 used (which is a great deal).

Cujo is right about choosing a shift knob that is shorter in height as well... take a look at how high the stock knob sits on the shifter. The Nismo GT one that I have for example sits much lower.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You would be better off getting the shift knob that has allen set screws. Because when you get your short shifter and it still looks like it was designed for a F-150 (most are the same height as stock) and you have to cut it to your liking, you won't be able to use the screw on type... unless you weld the threads back on. Also if you get a good quality shift knob it will not spin or wiggle. Had my Momo one for about a year and it never turbed or anything. Chad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts