SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 591 Posts

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lo and behold, Andy finally decides to post about his project!

I will post some pictures and comments here, but the majority of the information can be found at my project_240 index page. The articles are semi-witty, and contain both good information for amateur swappers and great pictures. Check it out and lemme know what you think!

-Andy

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: finally! my car...

Here are the aforementioned pictures. I have a lot of them, so beware!

stock KAsian Powuh!

Stripped interior

Stripped engine bay

Front clip from Venus (I know, I know...I have learned from my mistake!)

"Houston, we have liftoff!"

y0! Do dat fokeliff got boost, y0?

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: finally! my car... (NOT 56k friendly)

Don't need the clutch fan, so I had to find something to do with it

Engine waiting to go in

Complete engine, except for the turbo extension

Sans water pump, TB, water inlet, and thermostat

Celebratory engine humping :)

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Beadblasted exhaust manifold

Beadblasted turbo extension

Valvecover fresh off the engine

Beadblasted valve cover

Notice a theme here? My only superpower (besides Spidey Sense) seems to be anal retentiveness, and I love to beadblast dirty chit!

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Weird chit in the tranny after it was pulled

A pleasant surprise awaited us after pulling the tranny

"For the cost of a cup of coffee per day, you can give a little Chinese boy the life he's always dreamed of..."

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

After pulling the front cover. One of the chain guides seems to be high-density plastic and the other metal...is this a feature commom to all redtops?

Assorted parts, including the head, cams, cam gears, rocker arms, shims, chain, chain guides, headbolts, and some other stuff.

When she offered me head, I just couldn't turn her down! :D

Upper oil pan. That oil looks pretty well baked on. :(

Bearing girdle...or is it a "bearing beam?" Hmmm...

Upper oil pan, bearing beam, bearing caps, and assorted bolts in labeled plastic baggies. Beats the hell outta what your mom packed in your lunch bag!

Shortblock without beam or caps

"Hey baby, hold my crank."

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

"Guys...what did I tell you about stealing my crank?!?! Now give it back before I tell my Mommy!"

Pistons and block. Do all used SR pistons have that black crap on the dome?

Closeup on cylinders 2 & 3. You can kinda see some buildup on the piston domes, and "scoring" on the cylinder walls (if you can call it that).

Shortblock without pistons and oil squirters.

Piston and rod.

Another piston picture. You can see the black buildup really well in this one.

Crank, pistons, rods, rod caps, bearings, and main caps.

Shortblock being hauled off to Barnett Performance and Development for measuring and cylinder boring.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

A subframe I had delivered by Robin of Barnett Performance and Development. Apparently his clips come with more goodies than mine did, and he had this left over. I mainly needed it because I finally came to the decision to ditch the HICAS subframe in place of a non-HICAS one. I am also using this as an opportunity to install some SPL pro aluminum subframe bushings. These completely replace the stock rubber pieces, and thus the rubber needs to be removed.

This is a 2" extension I bought from Advance Auto Parts a while back. Appearantly it isn't too "impact-friendly!" :smirk:

RUCA's, toe arms, and "traction rods" off the RPS13 subframe I bought.

The same parts after beadblasting.

Here I am using a SawzAll to remove the metal sleeves that are part of the subframe bushings. The idea here is that it would make burning them out easier if the metal was gone and some of the rubber removed with it.

This is the metal sleeve after it was removed.

Here I am using an Oxy-Acetylene torch to burn the rubber out. Sssshhhh...don't tell the California Air Resources Board!

"Fiiiirrrrre! Fiiirrre! Fire! Hey Butthead: burning stuff is cool. Eh heh heh heh...cool."

After burning the majority of the bushing out, all that's left is some (relatively) brittle rubber. This is easily removed with a Brillo pad. Make sure to wear gloves, as this is some messy chit.

Cleaning with an air-powered buffing wheel. This made short work of getting the remainder of the rubber out and smoothing out the inner diameter.

This is where the old rubber subframe bushing used to be. The SPL aluminum bushings are eager to move into their new home. But the burning screwed up the finish on the subframe, and it will soon be treated to a primer and paint jorb. Since I have no $$ left over from buying all the bling-bling parts, I will probably go with a rattlecan jorb... :cool:

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This probably represents <4% of the pictures I have. :eek2: But I figured it's better to have more pictures than not enough.

Last Saturday we dropped the diff, then the subframe, and moved on to remove the wheels and all 4 struts. I have some KYB AGX's and Tein S-Tech springs waiting on the stock tophats to come off, then they will be assembled and reinstalled.

We are actually still stripping stuff, if you can imagine that. This coming Saturday will witness beadblasting and primering of the donor subframe, and possibly a layer or two of paint (depending on how many fumes I inhale by that point). I may get to install the aluminum subframe bushings, but the freezer at the shop may not be sufficient. We'll see...

I update my site every couple of weeks, so stay tuned. I will also do mini-updates ("are they evil updates?" :) ) on this site. Please provide any feedback, including constructive criticism. Thanks, and let me know what ya'll think.

-Andy

·
sr20 addict
1,133 Posts

i agree media blasting is the ****....:) keep the pics coming when you start going back together you have me in terested now

·
Registered
30 Posts

looks good. Must be nice having all that chit at your disposal.

Do you guys work for Nissan or just steal some shirts?

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hehe...we actually bought them online...it adds to the ambiance!

While feedback on the content displayed here is important to me, feedback on my website content is also welcome. Please check out the articles linked in my first post, and let me know what you think. Hopefully they'll be at least mildly entertaining!

As for my beadblasting everything...why not? I have it at my disposal, and a lot of stuff needs to be cleaned up. If you look at my website, you can see before and after pictures. The only challenge pertinent to my love of beadblasting though is finding something to coat the parts with so they don't rust back...

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts

Man, I wish I had the time/money to give my car that kind of attention. I fear I'll be reduced to replacing/upgrading things as they break.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Money: there are three of us working on the project, and we split the costs pretty evenly. This helps out a lot. Plus I have sold quite a few parts from our car and clip, which has helped to fund our work. We also picked up Barnett Performance and Development as a sponsor, which has lessened the cost somewhat in the past 3 months.

Time: What can I say? Although I'm newly-married (1-year anniversary was a month ago), I still have a decent amount of time for the car, because my wife is a patient, loving woman. I had more time, but now that we are in a house, I have "honey-do" chit to worry about constantly. I try to get as much done during the week as I can, but it remains a difficult task to get over to the shop to work on the car, even every other Saturday. Between taking care of the house, going out of town for weddings and other stuff, and all the "leisure" activities we have planned for the weekends, it's not easy. And once kiddies come in a couple of years, it will be even harder. I have basically come to an agreement with my wife that as long as I get all of my "chores" done, I can go to the shop every other Saturday or so. We'll see if this arrangement lasts...

We decided to go ahead and do a lot of work at once, which may not have been the best idea, but it certainly has been fun and challenging. I am fortunate in that I am able to keep my head up and keep going even though our car has never run in the 11 months that we've owned it! :(

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts

I did have a question then I was reading all the subtitles to the pics and pretty much figured it out for myself. I also got an s13 recently and am going to start on it soon, already a fun ****ing car to drive. Can't wait to see how your guys's turns out :).

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Well, I am trying to keep everyone updated if I have time to.

In case any of you guys visit FreshAlloy or CarolinaNissans, I have posted this thread in both of those places as well, to get as much exposure as possible. I would like to think that our project can serve as somewhat of a guide for amateurs like us, but that may be an idealistic viewpoint.

1 - 20 of 591 Posts