SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering swapping an sr20det into my car. How reliable are these motors and their tranny's? Are parts such as gaskets, water pumps, starters, alternators, etc. difficult to find. Which parts are interchangeable with the U.S. sr20de?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
The motors: change the bearings,waterpump and all the rubber gaskets you can see with the naked eye. Clean the oil spray bars above the cams and make sure the lower oil pan isn't dented in from shipping hampering flow to the oil pickup. It should be very reliable then.

The tranny: Use your stock one. Thierfore it will be as reliable as ... your stock tranny.

Interchangeable parts: Everything. Use all the stock DE parts you can get your hands on. The only diffrence is the pistons,oil cooler,pistons squriters and of course the manifold with the honking turbo on it. All the other stock DE **** will bolt rite up to the DET. AC/WP/ALT/gaskets/valve covers etc.. If your feeling really happy and you have a 91-93 SE-R you can even swap out the intake mani and weld up bung on your turbo manifold for the EGR and your car will be emmissions legal in all 50 states.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:

Interchangeable parts: Everything. Use all the stock DE parts you can get your hands on. The only diffrence is the pistons,oil cooler,pistons squriters and of course the manifold with the honking turbo on it.
</font>
Uhh Mike, speak for your DET. Half of the stuff for the N/A sr20 don't fit onto the GTi-R engine. We tried putting on a Unorthodox pully set and it wouldn't fit! My dad got it to go on but they were all rubbing on the block. Also the GTi-R valve cover is made only for the GTi-R and can not be changed to another one, which is crazy!

------------------

paradiseracing.homestead.com/home.html

·
almost there again
48 Posts
GTiR main bearings are the same spec as DE, but they have extra oiling holes for better lubing. The GTiR rod bearings are wider in spec than the DE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I am seriously considering swapping a SR20DET engine into my "71" Datsun 240Z. I wanted an engine that was light, powerful, compact, reliable and preferably Nissan. The SR20DET seemed to fulfill all of the requirements. My only concerns were the availability of parts and emissions. I rode in a 240SX with a modified SR20DET at McKinney Motorsports in San Diego, very impressive, I was sold. Since I would be swapping the RWD version of this engine would many of the U.S. SR20DE external parts still swap?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
True B12 the GTI-R has a bunch of non interchangable stuff. But for us under paid BB DET wheeling folk the diffrences are as stated.

Now tkindred I see your going to get a RWD DET. Take everything I said and throw it out the window. I have now clue whats interchangeable from the FWD DE and the RWD DET. Sorry.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts