SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking out the firewall mat on my car to drop some weight, but since it's a straight-up race car, I don't want to loose protection from a fire or a heat guard. Is there some other affordable material that I can replace this mat with that is lighter and retains the same properties or should I just leave this one alone. The whole interior is stripped and this is the only thing really left that looks like it carries any heft. I'm not removing any of the dash bracing just because of the bracing/accident properties. Only thing I removed was that rear seat back brace which doesn't count for jack. I figure SmoothDaddy could chime in on this one due to his weight-lightening abilities...:D.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Did I hear my name?

BRo, the best way to take out that HEAVY blanket is this:

GET VERY MOTIVATED
Take out everything attached to the firewall.
( radio, dash, HVAC, brace, EVERYTHING. )
Its helpful to have a razor blade or box cutter handy.
If I remember correctly, you dont have a/c.
So that should make things easier.
You will need to reseal the HVAC seals with whatever suits your soul.
Black Silicone is easy.

That blanket is HEAVY. I dont know what you would use to replace it.
I just left it BARE.

·
Banned
543 Posts
I Left Mine Bare Also.while U Are Under There The Brace Under Your Steering Whell Is Like 4 Pounds And I Dont Belive It Is Intended For Support In A Wreck

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
with no interior in my 240 at the moment, my right foot starts to burn when i drive cause of the exhaust pipe directly under my foot. i like insulation!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.