SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I've had my '91 Classic for about 4 months now, a nice addition to my '91 240sx. I've been looking for a forum for SE-R's/SR20's but haven't stumbled upon one until today when one of my friend's show me.

Anyway, my car had most of the SE-R plagues: the bad motor mount, starter squeal, bad door hinge, and crummy fuel gauge. Thanks God though, no 5th gear popout.

I'm in the market for new tires now to mount on the stock rims, any suggestions? Whoever had the car before me put on these nasty 185 65series tires. Ugh!

Thanks in advance.
Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you got good tires get a couple of bfgoodrich drag radials for the front and keep the skinnies on the back...form over function:0p

G

·
Welcome aboard!!!
hmmmm, as for tires, Im not too sure.
I got some cheap YKS performance 185 60 series on mine. They do the job. Get me around and spank civic/neon/ZX2/cavalier/saturn butt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How much do you want to spend on tires? At the low end you can get Sumitomo HTR100:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/sumitomo/su_ht100.jsp
$41 each and a favorable feedback, check this page:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/sumitomo/su_ht100.jsp

A slightly better tire, although won't last as long is the Yokohama AVS Intermediate:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avsi.jsp
Check this comparo between the two above tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare2.jsp?compare=true&partNumber=&make=&model=&price=&width=185%2F&ratio=60&diameter=14&sortCode=&speedRating=&qty=&stockMessage=&type=T&URL=&newC ompare=true&AddToUser=true&performance=MP&performance=UHP&performance=HP&startIndex=0&sortValue=1&compareList=0&qty_86VR4I_=4&qty_86HR4EXALTO_=4&compareList=2&qty_86HR4HTR100_=4

sheesh, I should be tire sales or something.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
The only tire I've run on my stock rims that wasn't a R-compound racing tire was the 185/60-14 Yokohama AVS-Intermediate.

It's a noisy old tread block design, but it has lots of old-school grip. The 60-series sidewall makes the car a little squishy in transition, but steady lateral cornering is great. That said, I wouldn't use the AVS-i as a four-season tire.

For performance tires, the stock 14" rims limit your choices. If you're considering plunking down for a more expensive tire for the stockers, think about plus-sizing to 15x6.5 or 15x7 rims along. They're the perfect size for the B13 SE-R, IMO. I just replaced my Nittos with a set of 195/50ZR15 Potenza RE730s on my 15x6.5's, and I'm already spoiled. Brilliant rubber.

Otherwise, there are tons of options for 185/60 in inexpensive all-season tires. That's the one good thing about having underwhelming stock-sized wheels: cheap tires.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Chris, I have BF Goodridge RE930 on my stock rims. I love 'em. They are 185/60. They just released the RE950 that replaced the ones I have. They are a really good all season tire, good performance in the rain. Thats my suggestion.

BTW, Im in Brick, maybe we could meet up some time. Are you interested in autox? There are a few SR20 owners that go up to englishtown regularly (although I havent gone as much as I would have liked to in the past), its a good time. later

-Jason

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.
jayac, my friend has an NX2000 who also lives in Brick, thus i am there frequently. I also am taking summer classes at OCC.

We'd both be intersted in autox'ing, so maybe we could meet up sometime soon.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My wife works at the Gap outlet in Jackson and drives a EBP Si. I dont get down that way much except for the autoX. How bout we set something up for the next race?

MarC

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey, the next autox is this saturday (21st). I would love to go and meet up with you guys. Question tho, I just got my car back from having the 5th gear replaced and having a new clutch put in, and by the end of the week I should have close to 300 miles on it. Think thats enough of a break in period so I can do the autox? One thing that sucks is that I have a blown strut on my front right...on second thought, it might be a good thing, giving me some oversteer. Hmmm.....

Well, anyhow, lets plan on meeting at e-town this sat. MarC, do you think MarK S. will be there? He usually goes to every one right?

-jason

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MarC- that's weird...my brother just started working at the Gap Outlet. his first day is sunday, the 22nd.

dang! next autox is saturday? i gotta work

look for the white se-r if ur around the Freehold Sears!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts