SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 1998 se-r with a few bolt ons and am wanting to turbo it but most kits are too much money and have read up on the sr20det swap. I want to know if it is the bb det or the gti-r det that requires alot of maintnence and valve adjustment. or is there a kit out there for about the $2500 I want to spend? brian

G

·
0 Posts
How bout putting your own kit together. That's what I'm doing now. When all parts are collected, I should be between $1500-1700 for used parts. Plus, I'll end up collecting more cash after I sell off the intake, header, maybe exhaust. Not bad in my book. I originally budgeted $2500 so I've got room for other goodies :) Clutch, motor mounts, 3" exhaust, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
ROMEO,what kind of used parts are you collecting for your 'custom' turbo kit? What kind of HP levels are you shooting for?

Nollan
98 SE-R

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my thoughts exactally. I though a turbo alone was about $800 for a t3/t04e. and the jwt computer is (don't qoute me)$700 for the turbo program. and that is your budget right there- minus the manifold,injectors,lines,ect. I would love to find out how you are doing this though as the more money I can save, the more money going into a video system :)

G

·
0 Posts
I have a '98 also. I'm debating Turbo or just higher compression. Turbos run really hot in AZ summers.

I've been working with Ben Benivedes who has the fastest street SE-R in the world (11.33 daily driver). He has a beast of a turbo, running 25psi. Also Louis Anaya is helping, he had a beast turbo until his car burned (not related to the turbo)

Ben is running his DE, whereas Louis went with the DET. I would stay with the DE, Ben has done some porting and polishing but are you really gonna run 25 psi? Our DE's can handle 15psi easily. Louis & Ben both agree to buy the parts yourself. You can get it all done for $1500-$1700. If you don't want the hastle I would suggest an FMax kit for $2500. I'll get a list of all the parts you'll need and the pricing.

-Kirk

G

·
0 Posts
The key to my turbo system is the fact that most of my parts are *used*. Manifold-$100, DET turbo-$300, Starion intercooler-$150, BOV-$40, injectors-$260, JWT ECU- still trying to get hooked up, gauges-$100, water/oil lines, piping-$??? This is only a low pressure system good for about 225hp. But it will do fine for a street car. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
25 lbs? more like 50 :) ya, I thought about the f-max kit but I thought it was more than that, I guess I thought wrong. I am kind of weary of putting used parts on my car though. I know that there is nothing wrong with it, but when something goes wrong, you would have wished you would have bought it new. plus I would have no idea on how to fabricate oil and water lines so a bolt in kit would be optimum. I guess I will start saving and stop talking.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh ya, almost forgot, how much does a gti-r engine go for with all of the stuff with it. if I was to buy one I would rebuild it anyways, just so when I eventually got mad at someone and turned it up a little too much.... I would have the stock engine to throw back in...easier said than done though. brian....continuously pondering on the endless possibilities

·
Registered
448 Posts
Uh, Last_SE-R some of your facts are waaay off. First off the stock DE long block will run with 20psi of boost all day long using a 50 trim T04E compressor wheel in a .50 a/r 3" inlet housing with a 76 trim T31 turbine in a .82 a/r housing and put down about 400whp.

Building a kit to run 15psi is going to cost you waaaay over $1700.

The F-Max kits *start* at $3700 for a basic set up with 370cc injectors and the stock MAF.

I know this because I just spent the last 3 months planning out my own kit and am now in the installation proccess. I am working directly with Mike Kojima, Rob Cadle (Garrett engineer) and Jamie at F-Max. I also know Ben and Louis pretty well.

Please do not mislead people into thinking they can build a 300+hp SR20 for $1700. It just aint true.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well.... I was not planning on making 300 hp anyways, it would be nice, but a little too fast for daily use. I would get tickets more than I have to fill up my gas tank :) I have been thinking more deeply about this b/c I am going to get a better paying job, and was leaning towards the gti-r transplant as opposed to a bolt on turbo- cheaper and everything in the engine is built to be boosted. what do you think of a gti-r w/ a few bolt-ons and a little nos :) oh ya, I was only thinking of a 8 to 9 lb system anywas, nothing too extreme, only want a vette not a viper

·
Registered
448 Posts
Brian the GTi-R motor will have more power than you will probably ever want on the street. Chris Allen put down 280+hp with the stock T-28. Granted it would not last very long at that level, but I can tell you that a 240whp SE-R is *CRAZY* fast. That is 100shot NOS terrritory.

You will not need NOS or anything else with the GTi-R power plant. If you are prepared to do the work, the GTi-R motor is a good way to go. I wanted a kit that would support 400+whp so that is why I went the way I did. If you plan on running below 275whp either way will work.

Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I guess I will start looking for a new job now (anybody know of a place looking for outbound logistics leads, supervisers in tx?) jk anyways I will start saving and when I get close to enough money, I will start calling around, does anyone know about emissions testing, they will start doing that next year in my county. the thing I want to know is that if the car is newer, do they expect better results?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, does it require a ton of work or is it a weekend drop in job. it should just bolt in and have a downpipe made right? or are the mounts and all of the other crap off. What kind of quarter-mile time are we talking about with this drop in?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gentlemen,
Will the GTI-R motor mount to our SR20DE tranny? If so, are our gears capable of processing the increased power(with a better clutch, of course)? Anything else unusual about the GTI-R engine(mounts, clearance issues(assuming front intercooler), etc))? I'm not trying to uncover all the details on the forum, but if anyone can point me in the right direction(ie. person/business), I'd much appreciate it. I can find the other technical stuff on the web.
Thank you,
B-man

1 - 16 of 16 Posts