SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fun Hater
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went from this.....

Foregot to take pics of the curb rash but it was pretty nasty.
Heres the new pic

·
Do Work!
222 Posts
Did you fix the rash with bondo?(or some kind of filler)

·
I cruise @ your top speed
1,513 Posts
People bondo rims nowadays?

Nice color choice! Looks hot on a black B13

now slam that bish!!!!

·
Fun Hater
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you fix the rash with bondo?(or some kind of filler)
Yep sanded down the gouges by hand to get it even with the rest of the lip.Then filled it in with about three layers of filler putty.I am very impressed with the way it turned out.the only thing I'm worried about is the paint holding up.Does anybody know if you can powder coat over filler putty?The putty is going to hold up pretty well I think.I hit it about four times with a screwdriver handle to see if it would crack didn't put a scratch in it.

·
Ruby Red SE-R
1,578 Posts
Nice!!!!!! Looks much better than the white. What kind of paint did you use??

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
no way in hell you could powdercoat them. just simply because the powdercoater would sand blast the wheel removing the filler putty. the only possiblity would be to have them sand blast them first, then maybe use a high temp JB weld? but i still wouldnt trust that, i would just suck it up and have a wheel shop weld them up and reshape the rim.

did you use the duplicolor wheel paint?

·
Fun Hater
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if you applied the putty after sand blasting?The reason I didn't think pc is possible is because the electric current you use to make the powder stick.It would not conduct through the putty.

·
Fun Hater
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys.Another thing I did was soak the paint can in some pretty warm water for about five to ten minutes it helps to warm the paint and give it a better flow out of the can.

·
Im Not A Chick
3,304 Posts
What if you applied the putty after sand blasting?The reason I didn't think pc is possible is because the electric current you use to make the powder stick.It would not conduct through the putty.
thats very true. i didnt even think of that. your only option would be to have a wheel shop weld on some new metal to the rashed area and then they would grind it down flush to the rim and it would look prand new.
Thanks for the comments guys.Another thing I did was soak the paint can in some pretty warm water for about five to ten minutes it helps to warm the paint and give it a better flow out of the can.
exactly. it dosent do alot if its a nice warm day, however if your painting in the winter or spring time when its alittle nippy the paint willcome out all spatery and look crappy. the biggest differance is when your useing a metalic paint like the duplicolor wheel paint you used. it makes the metalic flake comeout alot more even.

this is classicaddict

1 - 11 of 11 Posts