SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like I am going to pick up a 91 classic that has some front end damage. Basically needs a new bumper, grill, headlights,corners,and radiator support. Similiar to the type damage Ben had on the n2k except the fenders are ok. So my question is, is the radiator support bolted onto the frame or is it welded.

My guess is this is the type of project I could do easily with hand tools. Just want some confirmation on that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
tack welded you can drill out the old spot welds the pull it apart they sell a cool drill bit for removing spot welds to make a clean install. Im doing the same on a 92 classic its very easy..

------------------
91 SE-R Stillen header,HKS/Greddy catback,Nology coil/wires,ACT clutch,Clutch Masters flywheel,CAI,Energy motor mounts,Stillen S/T shifter and still not fast enough...

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
David;

Sounds like you bought the black SE-R in NY state, for sale over at SE-R.net, no? If so, good for you. I kinda' had an idea to buy that car and enter it in the Grassroots Motorsports $2002 Challenge next year, but the idea sort of fizzled.
I wondered if that car would find a good home...

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I plan on buying it. I think I remember him talking about you. I am going to go look at it this saturday and I am sure I will buy it. Just want to make sure there is nothing else wrong with it. I was looking for a winter project car, so I guess it just came a little early.

I have run out of things I can do to my own car (2000 Sentra SE) so I need something else to keep me busy.

Entering it into the GRM 2002 challenge might be a idea. I can see it being done with some wheeling and dealing and putting some lesser parts on it (pacesetter headers) and so forth. The problem is, it sounds like the car has mostly original parts on it so it is going to need some freshening. Struts, bushings, exhaust, some go fast goodies.

The only thing I wonder how well it would do. Seeing what most people unleased at the drag portion of the event I am not sure it would score too well in that part of the event. With a good driver it might be able to do fairly well in the autocross.

I don't know, what do people think. Could a classic cut it in the GRM challenge based on this years results?

[This message has been edited by david (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
David;

Oh yeah, a classic SE-R could do *very* well in the GRM $2002 Challenge, I think. It would take a 12-second run to score highly in the drag race part, but never fear, nitrous is here. I've got my '93 running in the 13s on a 75-shot of nitrous....it could be done, if only for a few runs...at the GRM deal, that is.
If the purchase price of the car is around $500 (which is what he had the car listed at), then that gives you a WORLD of performance parts to choose from.
Just choose smartly.
Pacesetter header? Yep, I've got one on mine.
I was actually thinking this setup: Take the $500 SE-R, try and track down either a BB turbo setup (they're out there) or, better yet, buy a BB engine/ecu. Then sell the original engine and deduct that from the price of the BB engine. It probably wouldn't hurt the 'budget' too bad.
Used struts/Kumho stickies/maybe some springs, and you're in the game.
The clutch is the *critical* piece, as far as the drag racing part of the challenge goes. However, with the classifieds over at SE-R.net (and eBay), I'm sure you could set this car up RIGHT for very little money.

Just beat the front end out as best you can, and get it straight.

I'm telling you...this car could do some damage at the $2002 Challenge. I get worked up just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunatly the car is more than that. So it doesn't leave me with much money to do stuff with. Once I take a look at it on saturday, and agree on a price, then maybe we can talk about how it could do at the GRM challenge and what parts we can throw in it.

G

·
yo david,

did you buy this car? I stumbled on it looking for a ride for my brother. I thought the price was pretty low until I saw the damage. If a new bumper can bolt on straight then all other panels should fit. thats the question. I had very similar damage to a honda accord. Bent the hood back, bolted new bumper on after jacking front end out, and threw on a new fender. I got a new radiator tower from a junkyard for that car. You can do and more time you spend the better it will look. Black is also the easiest color to match. Have fun, hope you have a nice big garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts