SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I hate wrenching...
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a '93 NX2K. Both the driver & passenger windows rattle a bit when closing the doors when the windows are rolled down any amount, but don't rattle when rolled up tight.

So, before I tear into the doors, any tips on what to look for or commonly-broken parts to either replace, improvise or glue back together? Just sounds like the window tracks have been knocked loose.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When you take off your door panel there are two bolts at the very top of the door. They have small felt pads that touch the glass, you will see what I'm talking about when you get in there. You can adjust them to press them against the window harder, that should cure your prob..

·
I hate wrenching...
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! From my searches, it sounds like I need to remove the window cranks before doing anything (like very other car I've torn into). How many screws to remove before I start popping those plastic retainers off?

Gibnutz_101 said:
When you take off your door panel there are two bolts at the very top of the door. They have small felt pads that touch the glass, you will see what I'm talking about when you get in there. You can adjust them to press them against the window harder, that should cure your prob..

·
Registered
408 Posts
When you are nearly done, be sure to double check how the window seals when it is rolled up and the door is closed.

Tightening the pads may move the window outward and not seal well, adding water to your lap when it rains, and a little extra wind noise on the highway.

You may find that you can't get the window tight against the seal and remove the rattling at the same time.

Replacing the felt may be the route in this case. But, I'll stop my thoughts here because beyond is where I have never gone.

·
broke, busted and rusted
2,095 Posts
i have the same problem, and adjusting the pads will not fix this noise. The pads will not stop window rattles they will just act as the fulcrum as they probably already are if they are adjusted properly.

The rattle usually comes from a bar on the window track. The window should have an X shaped bar with another bar going across it.
The bar going across can become loose over time and will make all of the rattles. Also the window can become loose in the track as well, (havent figured out how to fix either of the 2 problems)

Also make sure all the bolts that hold the window track to the innerdoor panel are all tightened down, especially the ones at the bottom. That will eliminate some of the rattle but usually not all hope some of this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts