SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped everything behind the front seats and found the dreaded wheelwell rust - so my ? is, for all those that have dealt with it: what did you do? have you just taken a wire wheel to it then spray it w/ primer, or have bondo-ed it or have you gone all out and done some sheet metal work?

I guess I'm just looking to see what other people have done and how well their solutions have worked.

·
8,148 Posts
There is a thread somewhere with pics. I will find the German thread and show you the pics there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is there a way to rip the carpet trim from the wheel wells without ripping them? they glued to the wheel well on the inside. I want to take mine out too check for rust but I do not want to ruin those trim pieces.

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
just pull it out the best you can and run your hand down to the glue spot, separate it with your hand if you need to... mine just popped right off, the glue was just barely holding it. The carpet stuff is formed to the wheel wells anyway.

·
s13 frankenstein
3,483 Posts
i'm just giridng it all off priming it, than painting it. I filled the holes with urethane too ..

not gonna stop rust but will atleast retard it a decent amount and will look a lot better

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
I am gonna grind it down to bare metal and see where it stops then cut about an inch past that and weld new metal in.

Later,Jon

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
You guys need to buy winter beaters and avoid driving your NX in the snow/salt. That way your hard work fixing the rust won't be wasted.

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha, my NX is my winter beater - thankfully the wheelwell is the only area w/ an appreciable amount of rust.

cruceno21 - I didn't notice any glue holding in my carpet (there might have been some there that deteriorated, but nothing that held it to the body). I think there were only plastic tabs holding it in, but don't be afraid to just gut it, you can always re-install in about 2 hrs.

·
8,148 Posts
I think we all have that same rust in the wheel well. Lemme go pull up the horror pics:

·
Autocrosser
263 Posts
Pretty White said:
I think we all have that same rust in the wheel well. Lemme go pull up the horror pics:

Here's my before and after pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/134875257hGovKs/0

The strut towers are still available from Nissan and they're cheap, less than $200 Canadian per side but the labour is about $500 per side.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
i had the rust but, i just payed a co worker to fix it who is in to bug resto, he just cut out what he could and welded up new stuff, and treated the rest with some rustmoret and with new body seam sealer plus new under coat.

·
8,148 Posts
Nick said:
i had the rust but, i just payed a co worker to fix it who is in to bug resto, he just cut out what he could and welded up new stuff, and treated the rest with some rustmoret and with new body seam sealer plus new under coat.
Thats all you can really do. Thats what my cousin said. Also another friend of mine who does bodywork. He says just cut it out and either use fiberglass over it or reweld sheetmetal. It is not that serious. I was also told to use some Eastwood Rust stop stuff and rub it in. It will prolong it for a year or two.
But here comes the pics.....

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
wow, I thought that my NX got hit and no one ever did the body work correctly. mine is very minor only on one side. phew I thought I was gonna have a hellride. Well it still sucks. time to cut, rivet, fiberglass, and undercoat.

·
Registered
812 Posts
dang, this makes me want to go check out my nx... im going to try and do some body work this summer to fix some minor rust, and other things. and then give it a new paint job.
i hope i have nothing like that building up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts