SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My flex pipe rotted out last winter. In a bind, I went to Meineke where they did a patch job welding in a new flex. I am wondering how much the exhaust flow is disturbed by the new piece's slightly smaller diameter creating a little lip in there. I want a whole new flex pipe now, connecting from the header's downpipe to the cat. My cat is original so do you think it is too rusty to connect to? Where can I get a new flex?? How come no one talks about high performance flexes?

thanks,
andrew

Andrew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Storm and Marc,

I have noticed flexes in some header packages but didn't know that is the standard. I suppose I could find just a flex from Nissan but it's cost would approach a whole header package. So anyway can any of you tell me what you think of header's you've tried. I saw a year old hotshot on a classic one time, the thing was already rusty and the o2 sensor hole was plugged with a bolt? The car didn't feel any faster than mine. I also would seek bottom end performance gains over top end.

regards,

·
Registered
909 Posts
You should go with the AEBS header then. It is a bitch to install and hange below the crossmember, but I think it gives the best TQ numbers.

MarC

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarC:
You should go with the AEBS header then. It is a bitch to install and hange below the crossmember, but I think it gives the best TQ numbers.
MarC
</font>
Ughh.....but is the few extra ft-lbs worth the hassle? Walsh's already has a massive dent in the flex pipe from who knows what....plus it's still not hooked up right.......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a perfect condition flex pipe, manifold to cat, lemme know. 65 shipped
email me @ n0ny [email protected]

[This message has been edited by crazyNXracer (edited 06-11-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just replaced my headers with a Pacesetter unit and have been most impressed. It did not have a flex pipe. A flex will tend to rob power because it is not a very smooth surface.
It's a different type of joint with the Pacesetter. Similar to Volkswagen or some smaller GM and Chrysler cars.
You can install the headers yourself. If you do not have a torque wrench, a shop will tighten it for you for a few $$.
Most headers will have a bolt or something welded in below the 02 sensor. This is part of the exhaust reclaim system. It is not necessary. It just sends exhaust back into the intake system. There is a similar connection at the very top of the manifold. This is important. It's not a bad job, it may take a day or so.

------------------
No, it's not just a Sentra. If you get scared, sit on your hands and close your eyes.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by josh moat:
I just replaced my headers with a Pacesetter unit and have been most impressed. It did not have a flex pipe. A flex will tend to rob power because it is not a very smooth surface.
</font>
Not true. You must have only ordered half the product if you didn't get the flexpipe. Either that or they didn't send you it. *ALL* headers for the SR20 cars, the Hotshot, AEBS (which is 1 piece) and Pacesetter comes with the primary and secondary pipes.

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 06-11-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I got a primary and a secondary but no flexpipe. It did not require one. It uses a ball and socket joint held together with compression springs.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Yes, I got a primary and a secondary but no flexpipe. It did not require one. It uses a ball and socket joint held together with compression springs.</font>

I'm not sure I understand. Can you take pics?
I haven't heard of anything like that.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Marc is correct. The reason there is no mention of these is because a new flex pipe is INCLUDED with any of the aftermarket high flow headers. Hotshot, AEBS, Pacesetter etc.....get one of those.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
I think that the Pacesetter has a ball flange instead of a flex pipe...it allows a little bit of movement like the flexpipe would, but is a straight pipe to the flange...they are alot like any exhaust flange...sorry..I only have pics of the Gen 4 HS

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's,SMC short shifter,Royal Purple synthetics..AND A VANILLA AIR FRESHENER!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, thank you for your much better explanation. I do not have pictures either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I got a primary and a secondary but no flexpipe. It did not require one. It uses a ball and socket joint held together with compression springs.</font>
yea i know what youre saying.. actually most honda's are like this. DC headers never have flex pipes. But they use those spring loaded flanges. I think its called a donut flange or something.

btw.. i agree that flexpipes are power robbing. It's logical. On my old stillen, my flexpipe busted so i welded in a straight steel pipe and i felt a performance gain! =) but it didnt last long since there was no flexability, it ended up breaking at a factory weld. =(

markp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts