SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
just bought a jdm engine and fidanza flywheel soon to be installed in my se-r. the one question i have is that the flywheel doesnt seem to be big enough to fit on the crank, its a tight squeeze...is this normal? and if it is, how do i go about installing it? heat it up before i put it on? thanks for your help in advance.
 

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
Joined
·
8,920 Posts
I had to bake mine in my oven (my wife wasn't too happy about that lol) to expand it to fit over the crank per Fidanza's instructions.
 

·
lack of sr20 owner
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
I dont know if its different with B13's, but on my B14 the guy just threw it on when we did a clutch swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i got mine from tony larocca there werent any instructions like that....but you did have to heat it up? ok cool, thank you!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
greg5286 said:
hey all,
just bought a jdm engine and fidanza flywheel soon to be installed in my se-r. the one question i have is that the flywheel doesnt seem to be big enough to fit on the crank, its a tight squeeze...is this normal? and if it is, how do i go about installing it? heat it up before i put it on? thanks for your help in advance.
You didn't have to hollow oout the holes to 11mm? I always thought the FWD SR20de flywheels were 10mm bolts while the det used 11mm. Therefore you need to get it drilled and balanced. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't gotten there yet.
 

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
Joined
·
8,920 Posts
Only on the GTiR.

4DoorSR said:
You didn't have to hollow oout the holes to 11mm? I always thought the FWD SR20de flywheels were 10mm bolts while the det used 11mm. Therefore you need to get it drilled and balanced. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't gotten there yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paNX2K&SE-R, how hot did you heat the flywheel to? what temp in the oven?
 

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
Joined
·
8,920 Posts
I had to do it like 3 times because it cooled down too fast and wouldn't want to go on. I started at 350* and I ended up using like 500* in the end I think. I had my buddy hand it out the kitchen window and I ran it straight into the garage and popped it on and screwed 2 of the bolts in as fast as I could. Its been on for 33k miles with no problem. I have no idea how I will remove it if I ever need to though lol :)

greg5286 said:
paNX2K&SE-R, how hot did you heat the flywheel to? what temp in the oven?
 

·
sellout
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I filed the edge of mine to a slight taper, then carefully drew it on with the bolts. It went on nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another option i have besides heating it up and putting it on is to have a machine shop take a little off the inner diameter of the flywheel, a guy my dad works with offered to take 2/1000ths off. this seems safer and more reliable to me than heating it up, plus ill be able to take it off if i ever have to. what do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, so i measured it again and the interference is about 1/1000, so im just gonna try the oven method. wish me luck!!
 

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
Joined
·
8,920 Posts
Use nice *THICK* hotpads. Trust me... :)

greg5286 said:
ok, so i measured it again and the interference is about 1/1000, so im just gonna try the oven method. wish me luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
flywheel is on the engine...heated it at 350* for about 15 minutes and it fit on fine. The only problem i ran into was trying to line the holes in the flywheel to the holes in the crankshaft before it cooled down again. Thanks for the ideas and info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Not to jack you guys post, but I just had the Fidanza flywheel and a Clutch Masters Stage 1 put on my JDM motor and I had no problems.....As soon as I break them I know I'm gonna enjoy myself!!!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top