SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sorry if this is a dumb question but i wanted to know what a flywheel does for the sr20de? how is it realated to HP and is it part of the clutch?

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
The thread is in the wrong section, but let me answer your question.

IMO, a lighter rotational mass does not contribute to an increase in hp. Rather, it makes it easier for the motor to move the drivetrain, therefore resulting in better acceleration. This is why you some people go as far as getting a lighter flywheel, knife-edging the crankshaft and what not.

Do bear in mind though that this decrease in rotational mass actually does show as an increase of power on an inertial dyno. I personally don't agree with this. I guess it all depends on how you see it.

The flywheel is not technically part of the clutch. Its a part of the drivetrain.

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
a light flywheel decreases parasitic drivetrain losses and takes less energy to spin, giving you more power at the wheels. It makes a major difference in the lower gears and generally makes the engine more responsive (i.e. easier to drive). The only downside is that if you bog a launch real bad, the engine will stall immediately, instead of sputtering and trying to turn over by itself - or if you have a laggy turbo set-up, it might be more difficult to launch

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
Bjorn said:
a light flywheel decreases parasitic drivetrain losses and takes less energy to spin, giving you more power at the wheels. It makes a major difference in the lower gears and generally makes the engine more responsive (i.e. easier to drive). The only downside is that if you bog a launch real bad, the engine will stall immediately, instead of sputtering and trying to turn over by itself - or if you have a laggy turbo set-up, it might be more difficult to launch
........what he said AND it throws you out of your power band like waaay too fast....when changing gears i have to rev it to like 5k rpms to stay within my power band daily driving in ordere to make my car move LOL

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Only downside of the light flywheel is occasionaly you will stall at red lights (only if your car is manual, obviously) because of how fast the revs drop. I've had my Fidanza in my car for 2 years and I still stall like once a month.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Storm88000 said:
Only downside of the light flywheel is occasionaly you will stall at red lights (only if your car is manual, obviously) because of how fast the revs drop. I've had my Fidanza in my car for 2 years and I still stall like once a month.

Autotragics don't have flywheels, they have flexplates. So flywheels are only for manual transmissions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I really like my Fidanza flywheel. The car is much more responsive but I had to learn how to drive it again. From what I understand, taking 1 lbs off the flywheel is like taking 20lbs off the car. For example, the stock wheel weighs 18lbs, my Fidanza weighs 8lbs, that is the same as dropping 200lbs off my car.

The only drawback is on the b14, the Fidanza makes the crank sensor throw a CEL. Nothing bad happens to the car but the light won't go away. From what I hear, the JUN, JWT, and UR flywheels don't have this problem.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Autotragics don't have flywheels, they have flexplates
The torque converter takes the place of the flywheel when it comes to mass.

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm cause i have the money to get the JUN ultra-light weight one, it weighs i think 4.3 kg but i dont know how much that is. is this a good idea or a bad idea overall?

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
I have a Toda 9# in my Honda and friggin love it.

is it a good idea or bad idea overall? It's a great idea - you'll definitely notice a performance and driveability increase

1 - 15 of 15 Posts