SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WAS WONDERING IN ANYONE 'S OPINION IF U HAD A FMAX KIT AN DE MOTOR WITH 160,000 MILES WOULD THE COST OF REBUILDING THE MOTOR BE BETTER FOR THE KIT OR BUYING A DET AND BOLTING ON THE KIT WHICH ONE WOULD BE CHEAPER

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
I was in this dilemna when I spun a rod bearing on my DE, I chose to have the DE rebuilt... just so I'd know what condition my motor was in. I think rebuilding the DE will cost more in the long run (assuming you have some stuff done to it in the process) but definitely isn't a bad option.

------------------
Brian
AIM: pdxs2000
91 se-r (fmax stg2 @ 1.1 bar)
00 s2000

·
Registered
782 Posts
I ended up buying a DET ($1200.00), selling the T25, manifold, injectors and IC ($700.00), then upgrading to the FMAX manifold, T3/T04E, Cobra MAF, MSD injectors, but I still ended up needing to rebuild the DET once I got it. I figured it was worth it to ME, because the DET had lower compression and could handle more boost. Then I sold the stock DET T25 and other items, so I only spent 1/2 of what I paid for the DET. I think another option is to look at buying a Japanese Spec DE(10:1)and put it in you car and then add an FMAX kit. Your cost will be low and you will have a low mileage motor. Don't worry about the 10:1 compression ratio too much. 1/2 pt of compression will not change the fuel/ignition curves with the JWT ECU. Just some food for thought.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the primera motor what do u think the max boost on the street would be without detonation and thanks for the help guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much for the FMAX manifold, T3/T04E, Cobra MAF, MSD injectors???

TurboSentra
SR20DET Power, HKS EVC EZ(not installed), HKS TURBO TIMER(not installed), JWT ECU , Greddy catback exhaust, 3 in ATR Race Cat, 3 in downpipe, HKS plugs,Magnecor wires, SSR rims 18x7.5,relocated battary to the trunk, AGX'S struts and Ground Controls

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
FMAX sells the turbo parts seperate? If this is so LOOK out as I have 2 DE's waiting for me to do something with them (3 if you count the one already in my '91)

·
Registered
782 Posts
With the Primera Motor and any motor, the amount of boost you will be able to run will depend on the amount of fuel and what MAF you have. If you run the stock MAF and teh 370cc Injectors, you will only be able to run about 10 psi before you max out the MAF and teh injectors. If you go with the Cobra MAF and 50lb/hr MSD injectors, then you can usually take it up to ~20 psi before you max out. If you get the JWT 4 Bar fuel program with the Cobra MAF & MSD injectors then you can usually crank up the boost to 21-25 psi before you start toppoing out the MAF and fuel curve. Remember, boosting past 20 psi is pushing the limits of the stock internals. The FMAX manifold runs about $450.00, the Turbo is about $650.00, the MSD injectors ar eabout $85.00 each, the Cobra MAF is about $200.00 and the JWT Fuel Rail is about $200.00 also.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph, Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where does one get a Cobra MAF? does JWT sell it or what? damn i was just gonna use a 300ZX MAF on the Silvia i'm researching a swap on but if there's something better i'm all for it. Also, i read on another thread that there's a difference between the RWD SR20DET and (i think) the Primera/GTi-R SR20DET, can anybody correct me if i'm wrong, and maybe tell me what questions i need to ask to get the motor i want (and honest to god Silvia motor).

thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a RWD SR20DET is the engine out of a silvia K's. buy it. better yet, buy two and send me one!

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if i want a Silvia engine i guess i'd better specifically ask for a silvia engine, eh? thanks for clearing that up.

so what's so special about the Cobra MAFS? does it work better with JWT's ECU stuff for boosted cars like what i'm trying to put together? why not just use a 300ZX TT MAF (or could i even do that)?

thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
JWT already has the voltage/mass air flow data. It can handle a lot of air (and therefore a lot of power)

I dont know why they dont use the 300TT maf. Does the 300TT use 2 maf's??
</font>
nope, it just uses one MAF.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Sivia (S13 or S14) RWD SR20DET will not fit in ANY of the US Spec FWD cars (NX2000, Sentra SE-R, 200SX, or Sentra SE). The Ford Cobra MAF can support up to 520+ hp with JWT tuning and the right fuel setup. The stock 300ZX TT only has (1) MAF. JWT upgrades thier 500+ hp 300ZX TT's by using dual pop chargers with a fake MAF on one side and the factory MAF on the other.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph, Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, the tt maf tops out at about 400 whp on the tt, and they go with the dual pop setup. the cobra maf is huge. mike g, got a pic?

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

1 - 16 of 16 Posts