SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I printed out the instructions on SE-R.net for setting up my foglights to run without the headlights, but have already run into a snag. BTW these are Bryant Woo's instructions, the link to Rick Zotz's instructions was dead. I know I've read his before and they involve taking apart the steering column, but I can't find them again.

Woo's: http://www.se-r.net/electrical/fog_light_mod.html

Anyway, the ones I have do stuff under the hood (easier to get to
). Basically, things are reversed from what is in the instructions; Woo has a '96 SE-R and I have a '94 Classic. The foglight relay, at least according to the markings on the relay blocks, is not on the passenger side of my car but on the driver's side next to the battery.

What I need to know: ARE THE WIRE COLORS THE SAME AND CAN I DO THIS JUST USING THE LEFT TURN SIGNAL? Has anyone done this mod, or has anyone used Rick's method and still has the instructions?

TIA for all your help.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

Found Rick Zotz's method on his homepage.

http://www.se-r.net/zotz/se-r_foglights.htm

Opened the steering column, did NOT find the scotchlok connector; there wasn't one. I assume this is another difference between model years.

Somebody, PLEASE help me out with this - I really want to be able to use the fogs with the high beams.

TIA

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
All you have to do is run ignition power to the relay so that it will turn the lights on anytime the ignition switch is turned on.(with the foglight switch on.) I'm at work you'll have to wait till I can get home and find the wire colors on my '91

G

·
0 Posts
first of all what the heck is a scotchlock connector. Is that the white thing that connects a whole bunch of otherwise messy wires? Also has anybody done this on a 93? that would be more helpful being that the wiring is different

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A scotchlok connector is a little piece of plastic and metal that is used to splice two separate wires anywhere in their middles - it just has two little contacts inside it that pierce the sheathing on both wires, closing the circuit. You put the two wires through it and give it a squeeze, and there you go. I don't think it would be at all helpful for bundling wires.

Hey skyliner, how's about that update? And where in the car do I need to be looking for the wires whose colors I'm eagerly waiting for you to tell me?

TIA again.

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
If you have the factory foglight harness you need to attached the Red/yellow wire to ignition power . The wire 'should' be run up to the combination switch(headlamp switch). Ignition power 'should' be a yellow wire running into comb switch. Attach this 2 wires and your foglights 'should' turn on anytime the switch is on and the foglight switch is on. Those are the colors on my '91

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, you're going to have to be a LOT more specific. I don't have an FSM and I basically need to be told exactly where everything is. Not only am I new to SR20s I am new to working on cars, period.

I'm guessing that this stuff is in the steering column. What is a comb switch? Which side of the column can I hope to find these things on? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again...

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Well you need to remove the plastic covering on the steering column to get to these wires. It's gonna be real hard to find these wires if there different color on your car. As I said before the combination switch is the headlight switch also has cruise, turn signal, wiper and hazard. It's gonna be real hard to guide you through it over the forum and I'm not close enough to ya to drive up there, good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe i should tattoo idiot to my forehead but... when you say red/yellow does that mean that the wire is mostly red with a yellow stripe or vica versa

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wondering that myself...

G

·
0 Posts
Also it is said that there should be a purple wire connected to a red/yellow one... i found a red wire with yellow stripe and fortunately there is but one of these... there are a whole bunch of yellow/red wires though... im gonna buy a multimeter as soon as i can so i can check if this wire is right but the next problem is i dont know which wire will give me power when the key is turned lol. Anyways this red wire with yellow stripe is hooked into the very top of a connector. This connector has a slew of wires going into it(a couple dozen!) If i knew which wire would give me power i could try it with jumper
also my car is a 93 that is probably why i am having such a hard time

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
yes Red/yellow means a RED wire with a Yellow stripe. I'm a mechanic and sometimes I forget not everyone is a mechanic , sometimes it's kinda hard to explain what I know , since I'm just used to doing it and not having to explain 'how' to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I can't make this work. In my '94 I don't have the same color wires you are telling me to look for - more wonderful model year differences, I'm sure. While experimenting I ended up having to replace the fuse for the dash lights and the fuse for the parking lights, and now one of the bulbs in the foglight switch is bad, the only place to get them is the dealership, and that tiny little bulb not only costs $4.29 but isn't something they keep in stock. I almost wish I hadn't run across this idea.

Why do we mod our cars? We must be nuts, considering the trouble we go through

Eventually I will get a FSM and figure out what's what.

Thanks guys, sorry it didn't work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ok anyone ever come up with anything

I just tried this on my 93 by jumping wires on the foglight switch, did not work just blew fuses if I tried to turn on the fogs with the parking light's

everything is back to stock now

any ideas?

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
i did this just earlier this year. it was not as difficult as everyone is making it. it did take me a few minutes of looking at it to finally understand. let me get a look tonight at my column to figure out what i did.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Rittmeister said:
Well, I can't make this work. In my '94 I don't have the same color wires you are telling me to look for - more wonderful model year differences, I'm sure. While experimenting I ended up having to replace the fuse for the dash lights and the fuse for the parking lights, and now one of the bulbs in the foglight switch is bad, the only place to get them is the dealership, and that tiny little bulb not only costs $4.29 but isn't something they keep in stock. I almost wish I hadn't run across this idea.

Why do we mod our cars? We must be nuts, considering the trouble we go through

Eventually I will get a FSM and figure out what's what.

Thanks guys, sorry it didn't work.

eek i blew the bulb too, looks like i will need to order a bulb too :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
did anyone figure this out, becuase I tried all different wire connections tonight, and basicly just ended up splicing and but-connecting things I didnt have to. On my 91 I only see a yellow wire going to the relay. Is the the wire I conected to a different power source? Or do I have to still go into my steering column? Thanks.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
if you pull the fog light switch out you will see a purple wire coming out of it. Follow that wire up to the steering column and you will see where it connects. The wire it is connected to is the headlight switch. YOu want to snip that purple wire and use a scotchlok connector to splice it to the parking light switch wire, or the ignition ON wire. Then the fogs will come on with the key ON or parking lights on, either way you do it is fine. You will have to find the wires for the parking light or the ignition ON by searching this place cause I don't have them written down here anywhere.

Brent

·
Registered
698 Posts
dont buy those bulbs at the dealer!

they sell them at radio shack for cheap! just take the bulb out of its brown base by untangling the leads and match it up. the one radio shack sells is a little shorter but they still work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts