SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using anything brighter than 55W bulbs in thier factory fogs? I have upgraded the headlights to 80W/85W units(very nice
), but the fogs, along with seeming underpowered, are a different color(i.e.My headlights are Hyper Blue, and the fogs are Hyperwhite bulbs)than the headlights. Anyone try 80W or 100W bulbs(which I would think is pushing it)? Any thoughts on companies that carry the "Hyper" brand of 55W bulbs, even?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been using 100w fog bulbs for quite a while. No negatives as far as I can tell. Just bought some bulbs the other day and the parts guy didn't want to sell me the 100s because "they won't pass inspection". Why do they sell them, then? New 100s on the car now.

LB

www.trancelab.com

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well when I bought the car it had 100w in them. I didnt know that till one blew and I went to replace it. I put 55w back in there cause I didnt know it had 100w's in it. But the 100w bulbs melted a little bit of the wireing, just a touch tho. And I swear the 55w looked brighter. But over all the fog lights suck, i can barely tell when they are on execpt when people flash me guess they are aimed wrong. Didn't know they had any kind of adjustment other than just tuging on them, hell a cop flashed me once out in the back roads behind my house(I live out in the country).

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I tried 100's in my G20 and they blew out more often than the 55's. It seemed like every 3to4 weekends I was on my back replacing them. I changed them back to 55's back in August of 00 and have not changed them since.

Nigel
95/G20t/AUTO
Stillen/header/intake JWT/ecu/S3cams Greddy/MX exhaust

·
Registered
202 Posts
I tried 100w bulbs in my SE-R and they lasted about half as long as the 55w ones. Also, the 100s started to burn the wiring if I left them on for a long trip. Stick with the 55s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies!!! I've found a shop that carries the same color bulb I have in my headlights in 55W-I was going to get a pair of 80W, but the more I hear about melting wiring etc., the more I think I'll stick with the 55W. I only turn them on when the weather's bad, so even the 80's probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but I'm not going to push my luck.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up getting a set of 100W H3's, as I only use the fogs when It's really crappy out. One little thing I just noticed(I shpuld get an award for being the "least observant")is that inside the fogs are some kind of hood, I'm assuming to keep the lights pointed down. I hadn't noticed before, but the freakin' fogs were installed upside down when I first bought the car(someone changed the bulbs, and just stuffed the light housings back into the fog assemblies)-Hopefully It'll make a difference, becaus the stupid things aren't adjustable at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...So much for that idea! I installed the 100W's, and they worked fine a week or so ago. Then yesterday, in the middle of our "weekly blizzard", I tried them again, and all I heard was a faint crack coming from the fuse panel. I took out the fuse, and it was roasted! So, today , i got under the car and checked all the wiring(It was fine)and the bulbs(they were fine, too.). So, confused, I proceeded down to my local parts store and picked up some more fuses. After I proceeded to blow out two fuses in short order, I switched the 55W's back in...they worked. Now I'm confused. Why were they working before, and now all they do is pop fuses? I figured that if it was drawing too much "juice" that it would've blown the fuse when I first installed them...weird....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts