SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you use to block the hole that's left after you remove the assembly? Size, type of material, etc.?

------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, PR CAI, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I merely made a gasket for the opening, using the base of the EGR as a template. Then, cut a metal piece (using the same template) that just uses the EGR bolt holes (and bolts) to hold it (the metal piece), and the gasket down tight.

You can also use the base of the EGR, and the aforementioned gasket, to effectively block off the hole. The gasket must be thick and leak-free, to help hold vacuum.

Worked for me...

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Dont laugh, but as of right now i used electrical tape as a quick fix....

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

G

·
DONT LAUGH EITHER ,
I took off the BPT and plugged up the vacuum hoses with extra torx bits from my screw driver set. I do it right one day.

------------------
-

-

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey RED what's a BPT???

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
If you dont want your EGR i will sell you my Primera intake manifold that doesnt have the EGR or that crap on it

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap

·
Registered
858 Posts
a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum about 2" wide and 5" long then use the base of egr and trace it with a scriber then cut file center punch holes for bolts buy new egr gasket and use permatex. very light coaton the gasket.done. I polished my egr hole cover before putting it on. Me likey shiny things.

you need shorter bolts cause the plate is thinner than the egr base.
------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Would a 96 SE-R benefit from removing the EGR? Has anybody done this in their 96?

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure theres any performance benefit, per se from removing the EGR. I have two reasons removing it and the PAIR valve.

1. Less engine compartment clutter.

2. Without the EGR I do not have to worry about any performance loss or driveability issues like poor idle. I'm having my JWT ECU specifically programmed to eliminate both the EGR and PAIR valve. Basically, they will put a 94' program in my 93' to eliminate the PAIR. As far as EGR I'm not sure what JWT does but I would guess it some how eliminates the EGR "code" so I won't get a "check engine light"

Andy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
Would a 96 SE-R benefit from removing the EGR? Has anybody done this in their 96?

</font>
Nope... No benefits. Removing the EGR would just make your car spew out more NOx emissions... A big no-no since you're in California. If you're having idle problems, and you suspect the EGR, then clean it out with some throttle body cleaner.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (EGR and AIV still intact)
1998 200SX SE-R (EGR intact but not working properly for the moment)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts