SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What settings are you using? After much experimentation with the below referenced suspension modifications, I'm using 1F / 3R. I started with 2F / 4R but found it to harsh. The suspension gurus of the world seem to agree that the softest damper setting that controls the spring compression is ideal so I'm not concerned it's too soft. I did 4F / 8R for a trip just for kicks and found the ride intolerable and the handling poor.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Yeah i was running 2f/4r, but you got me thinking i will try 1f/3r. I have run 4f/8r and it was fun for awhile until i couldnt take the ride anymore

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Andrew said:
What settings are you using? After much experimentation with the below referenced suspension modifications, I'm using 1F / 3R. I started with 2F / 4R but found it to harsh. The suspension gurus of the world seem to agree that the softest damper setting that controls the spring compression is ideal so I'm not concerned it's too soft. I did 4F / 8R for a trip just for kicks and found the ride intolerable and the handling poor.
City street commuting and hi-way on a 91 Classic with pro-kit springs, stock sway bars, 15" wheels, 195/50 tires, I like 1 fr and 2 in the back on my AGXs. Firmer than stock, less body roll, but not a jarring or rough ride. I do still occassionaly bottom the front suspension on big potholes and the pavement dips used for water drainage herte in my town. (The ride was even smoother with 14": wheels and 185/60 tires).

·
Registered
765 Posts
maybe it's coz I'm young, but I dont mind running 3 on the front and 8 on the rear. The car handles very well with this setup and I dont find it harsh at all. This is with Eibach Prokit springs...

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
PlanoSER said:
maybe it's coz I'm young, ......
Yep you got me there - I'm defintely not so young anymore, and my modified Miata rode like a rock. The Sentra easy ride is what I'm enjoying. Sentra is just as fast or faster too. Matt - I just mounted the 200 SX 15" wheels I bought from you yesterday, with Potenza S03 tires in 195/50. Lovin it. I'll post photos in members section in next week or so.

·
8,148 Posts
PlanoSER said:
maybe it's coz I'm young, but I dont mind running 3 on the front and 8 on the rear. The car handles very well with this setup and I dont find it harsh at all. This is with Eibach Prokit springs...
Age has nothing to do with it. I personally thought 1 and 2 sucked on NYC streets. I run 3-3. Whoever runs 1-3 be careful. You may find your ass coming around one day. Too stiff a rear is good for an Auto-X, but unplanned on the street can be deadly if you don't knowwhat you are doing. That's just my opinion.
BTW, I have every suspension bolt on except the Nu-Tec lower brace.
AGX, Pro-Kit, ST bar, Suspension Techniques bars, ES bushings all around.

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Pretty White said:

Age has nothing to do with it. I personally thought 1 and 2 sucked on NYC streets. I run 3-3. Whoever runs 1-3 be careful. You may find your ass coming around one day. Too stiff a rear is good for an Auto-X, but unplanned on the street can be deadly if you don't knowwhat you are doing. That's just my opinion.
BTW, I have every suspension bolt on except the Nu-Tec lower brace.
AGX, Pro-Kit, ST bar, Suspension Techniques bars, ES bushings all around.
On 1 fr 2 rear I haven't had the back end come around yet including an ice storm. Howevever, I think I'll try 2 and 2 for the next week or so and check it out, then maybe try 3 and 3 for grins after that.

·
8,148 Posts
AC7880 said:

On 1 fr 2 rear I haven't had the back end come around yet including an ice storm. Howevever, I think I'll try 2 and 2 for the next week or so and check it out, then maybe try 3 and 3 for grins after that.
Speaking of which, how the heck texas is getting Ice and snow and it is in the 70's here in NYC? Not that I am complaining or anything but still................
I am sure a lot of people in TX get all bent when it snows huh?

·
Registered
194 Posts
everyday driving: 2 front/5 rear

lapping event/track day: 4 front/8 rear

drag racing: 4 front/ 8 rear

long roadtrips: 1 front/ 2 rear

......still need swaybars :).......

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
I'm currently running 1 in front and 3 in back. I experimented with several other settings and found this combination to be the best compromise for my '92 SE-R. I have the following modifications to my suspension in addition to KYB AGX's:
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
ES HyperFlex Kit

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Pretty White said:

Speaking of which, how the heck texas is getting Ice and snow and it is in the 70's here in NYC? Not that I am complaining or anything but still................
I am sure a lot of people in TX get all bent when it snows huh?
It did 1/8 to 1/4" freezing rain then snowed on top. Native Texans did pretty well - better than I expected. Most drivers slowed down and were carefull. They seemed to enjoy the snow (but not the ice).

I'm in Tx on Air Force duty and I grew up in the cascade mountain range in Wa state, and have driven in snow in many states and in Germany so it didn't phase me other than extreme defensive driving for the few folks (mostly pickup trucks) that didn't slow down. One 4 wheel drive guy said "but I have 4 wheel drive" right after he slid thru an interesection and hit one of out Air Force members cars. He thought 4 wheel drive helped him not only go, but also brake.

·
Tools on order
1,758 Posts
I'm sad cause I can't run any of those settings. Why you ask, well because they don't make B15 specific struts yet. How do the settings work? Lowest number is stiffest and Highest is soft.

·
nothing but shenanigans
763 Posts
i run 2 front/5 rears for every day driving and i don't thinks to harsh. i have st sway bars, intrax 1.75 drop, 17's w/205 40's as well. oh yeah, race seats too.:D

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
trance34 said:
I'm sad cause I can't run any of those settings. Why you ask, well because they don't make B15 specific struts yet. How do the settings work? Lowest number is stiffest and Highest is soft.
1 is softest ride, higher numbers are stiffer settings.

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
I recently installed a Courtesy Nissan/TopSpeed cat-back on my B13. The muffler was bumping against the towing hitch frame. I double-checked the clearances and even zip-tied the rubber isolators to limit its movement. This helped, but didn't stop it completely.

That's when I thought about the adjustability of my AGX's. I had them set to 2 in back and 1 in front. Figuring I have nothing to loose, I try some new settings and BINGO! The rattling from the muffler is gone. The ride's much smother too. What were the new settings? 2 in front and 1 in back.

Also worthy of noting is that mid/high speed (60-80 mph) stability has improved greatly with this new combination of settings. With the previous settings, the car felt a bit "twitchy". Almost reminded me of my prevous rear-drive car. 1F/3R settings were best at getting the front to turn in quickly and the rear to follow nicely at lower speeds.

Hope this helps others,

·
Registered
77 Posts
I run 3f and 6r. A little bouncy in the rear sometimes but i don't mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.