SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did you guys find it a pain in the butt to get the tranny back on, getting the imput shaft to line up perfectly with the clutch disk. im doing mine with the engine in the car and its being a pain. i put it back together when i first put my jdm engine in when i had it all out of the car and had the engine close to the ground and even that was a pain. did you notice you have to be very slow about moving it and you can move the tranny around too quickly or it will never go in and you just have to slighly and slowly move it until it lines up. this was just more of a pain in the butt than i thought it was going to be, and it was dark out and i was just using a little shop light and it was late so maybe thats it, im gonna get it done when the weather clears up. been raining for the last three days. yeah it sucks. but im just gonna go slow with it, i think i was just trying to force it on and moving the tranny around too quickly so that the splines would never line up enough to go in. cuz even when i did my jdm and had the engine out and close it was still a pain. the clutch disk is perfectly aligned so i know thats not the problem. because the shaft will go parly in just not the spline part. oh well. ill wait till the weather clears up then give it another go. oh im using a spec stage 2 clutch with kevlar disk. i was using a stock clutch before and i burned that up good in only 16k miles. so ive heard good things about these clutches and those disks about being soft pedal which i like and smooth engagement. so i cant wait to get it back on the road.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
its a lot easier with two people guiding it in (one from the top, one below). If you have to do it alone, a cool trick is to chop the head off a couple tranny bolts, and thread them in some. Then use these chopped off bolts as guides to help you get the tranny on.

Also, if it still does not want to go in, drop it and make sure your clutch disc has been aligned correctly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
618 Posts
practice makes perfect. just keep going at it and get a friend to help you like stated above.

·
Registered
724 Posts
cnynracer1 said:
its a lot easier with two people guiding it in (one from the top, one below). If you have to do it alone, a cool trick is to chop the head off a couple tranny bolts, and thread them in some. Then use these chopped off bolts as guides to help you get the tranny on.
Nice Tip, never thought of that.

I sometimes add a little grease to the splines on the input shaft, not too much but enough for it to slid in
;)

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah ill get it, its just a pain. i had my little brother helping me, just enough to where i lifted it up onto a jack so i didnt have to pick it up and down. so it would hold it close. yeah ill get it, the disk is perfectly aligned so i know thats not it, the shaft was just being a pain and didnt want to slide in, probably because i was moving it around too quickly and not slowly turning it until it caught and again it was dark out and late at night. i was tired and fustrated so ill give it a shot when the weather clears up. yeah its just a pain but oh well. cant wait to get it back on the road.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
The cut off bolt trick that Frank suggested helps a ton when you are by yourself. To make it even easier pick up a few bolts with the same thread that are 2-3" *longer* then the factory ones and cut the heads off.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
The cut off bolt trick that Frank suggested helps a ton when you are by yourself. To make it even easier pick up a few bolts with the same thread that are 2-3" *longer* then the factory ones and cut the heads off.
Thats a great trick, wish I thought of that...another thing you can do is remove the alingment pins (2) from the tranny and put them in the block. This will help you align the tranny and keep that big metal spacer in place too.

·
8,886 Posts
cnynracer1 said:
a cool trick is to chop the head off a couple tranny bolts, and thread them in some. Then use these chopped off bolts as guides to help you get the tranny on.
Cut a deep slit in it so you can get them out easy with a screwdriver.

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
If you have an extra guy put on one of the half-shafts in and put it in gear. Then turn it slowly while you are trying to line eneything up. I did this putting a transmission in a mini-van and it worked great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts