SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at one of my local junkyards, and I came across a fresh arrival; a white '92 NX2K. It was hit hard, and both the driver and the passenger died in the vehicle. :(

On a happier note, the hit was on the right rear, so the engine looks to be intact. It is obviously a southern car or has been garaged forever, as there appears to be no body rust in the usual spots. The car has 89K miles, and the owner wants $300 for the motor if I pull it myself. I am wondering if he will let the 5 speed tranny go with the motor....

I may be going back to swipe the calipers and the MC in a few days. The radiator is buckled :( and all interior parts and exterior panels are shot, including the front lip. The lights and tails look good. The wheels look shot too. Its a sad situation.

So what do you guys think? Should I pull the motor? I can't tell for sure if it is dead or not. It may of sustained damage in the hit. Thoughts?

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...what I found out is that about 20% of all the cars they get are from fatal accidents. Alot of the cars that come in are without seats becuase of the blood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
vaypourus said:
Well...what I found out is that about 20% of all the cars they get are from fatal accidents. Alot of the cars that come in are without seats becuase of the blood.
Hey, people gladly take heart and other organ transplants from the dead. Why not let this engine live again rather than seize up in some junk yard.

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was originally going to get a JDM sr20, but that also involves shipping it. I am going the vvl route eventually. I think that if I did the work, I could leave with a full engine, 5 speed tranny, brakes and pretty much anything else out of the bay for less than $500. If everything was in good condition, I think that would be a killer deal. I just don't know what the condition of everything is until I pull it, and the owner might be a chode and want way too much for everything.

·
8,148 Posts
TheBlueNx1600 said:
Take the whole thing and built it but make sure you put bless your car with some holy water or you could be the next unlucky driver.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TheBlueNx1600 said:
Take the whole thing and built it but make sure you put bless your car with some holy water or you could be the next unlucky driver.
uh yeah..thanks for the shot of confidence....

·
Registered
7 Posts
vaypourus said:
uh yeah..thanks for the shot of confidence....
If the price is right, take it man. Folks gladly take other people's hearts and livers, hell, this is only an engine and tranny, nowhere near as personal. Be a crime to have a SR20 with only 89K just rusting away when it could fire up again. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck to ya.

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I am going down on sat(tenative) with cash in hand. If the price is right and everything looks to be intact, I am pulling the motor/tranny/engine bay stuff/brakes. Anybody have any interest in any of the lights or other small parts ?? Like I said, its in real rough shape, but there might be something there....

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dude...if I died in my se-r, I would hope somebody would be able to use something from it. I am going to take my chances.....it will be the haunted sentra!

·
A sunny! How cute!
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, its done. $300 cash took the motor and tranny, and he guaranteed both to work fine. I crapped my pants when I made the offer, and he said "lets do it".

I didn't even have to pull it either....we propped it up, cut the support bar underneith, cut the motor mounts and dropped it out of the bottom. The passenger side drive shaft was sheered off, so we just cut the other one. Whole project took 2 hours.

When we loaded it into the truck, the guy that was working came out and told us not to tell the owner how much we paid :tongue: He told the owner it was $500 for both, and the owner flipped anyways. I guess he knew what it was worth.

Scott and myself figured out who the kid was that owned the car....he used to hang out down at the plaza. He hit a tree at about 60:(

Anyways, here are some pictures.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts