SR20 Forum banner

buy it?

• yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • i want it, so back off buster!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • if it comes with free nachos and a soft drink, hell yea!

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a '91 sentra se-r in aztec red last night. it is a unique find by all means. anyways, here are the specs:

the owner bought it from a friend. it had a blown motor (owners kid ran it out of oil). so, he buys a motor from a colorado engine shop, but it ends up being a jdm motor! he was unsure of the mileage on the motor when he got it, all i know is it could have had anywhere from 20 to 60k on it when he got it. the body had 111k on it upon purchase and install of the motor, it has 171k on it now. the car has no cat, as it fell off and they just did a temporary fix. it feels wierd, but ben informed it's because of the higher compression and the lack of backpressure. this motor picks up at around 5 grand instead of the 4 grand at which my american sr20 picks up at. ohh well.

it has a new clutch (like 3k old), new struts, and new tires on it. the clutch is new because i got an awesome scratch from first to second gear. i mean a GOOD one, better than the ones i could do in mine. pretty long one, but no wheelhop indicating that the motor mounts are fine.

the car needs some new parts, in fact a decent amount of them. the heater core won't heat up very well, so it looks like i'll need one of them. a rebuilt one is 78 bucks on carparts.com, so no biggie. the front windshield is cracked, and will need replaced. i have a replacement, so i'm just looking at labor on that. it needs a new valve cover gasket (ohh boo hoo). he put new cv boots on, but the cv joints themselves are shot (hear the clunking and it's pretty fast so they've been dead for a while). the front discs, i believe, are warped. they felt warped once, but felt fine another. dunno. the biggest problem is the rack and pinion steering is going out. the unit is leaking pretty bad, and whines when you crank the steering wheel. i have a replacement, but the full job (not including tax) is 385 bucks. that's taking it out and putting it in. but, i think it'll cost more because technically we're taking it out twice here. however, the estimate was 385, so can he jack it up a lot? i don't have any proof of it though, just the owners say on it. :confused:

other than that, it's pretty straight forward. the body has doordings all over it, and there's a pretty decent dent in the passenger front fender. also, there is a dent that took out the driver side taillight lense. the paint is fading pretty damn bad, and probably is beyond repair. the interior is in good shape, but the dash has seen it's better days and it has no headliner. it has a/c and a tape player, but no sunroof and abs. the guage cluster has a light out on the rpm side, so i couldn't see anything when i was driving it. i was just going by engine sound and praying i didn't hit the revlimiter. the guy wants 2 grand for it, but i'm thinking i can talk him down a couple hundred because he wants it sold (he was going to let me drive it a couple days to make sure i wanted it :eek: ).

anyways, what are some ways to see if this is a real deal jdm motor here? i hear they have 150hp instead of 140 because of higher compression (10:1 instead of 9.5:1). i'm just going by what he said, but it sounds like a jdm if you ask me considering the company ships them over from japan. lol :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Its311Pete said:
You gave us alot of info on the shape of the car but you forgot the most important part, What are they asking for it?

Darren
thats what Im hollaring!!!!! $$$$

·
Registered
803 Posts
I bought my 1993 NX with 100,000 on the clock, blown motor, needs the passenger door repaired (2 good side dents), and a new front spoiler. The paint is pretty good, absolutely NO rust, and the interior is immaculate. All this for and a tow to my friends house 15 miles away for $1100. I thought I got a pretty good deal. I think with the JDM motor installed, new accessory belts, new clutch I have right around $2000 in it. Although it does need axles and tires. But this is just a gauge of what can be done if you look hard enough. Hope this helps...

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Wouldn't you be able to swap in a lot of the working parts from your black car?

Talk down the owner a chunk if possible. It's a '91 with a mysterious engine, broken windshield, crummy paint, bad CV joints, and leaky steering rack. You're looking at disassembling the dash, steering, hubs, heater, and front glass to make the car sound. IMO, all that would be worth several hundred bucks of my time.

The PS steering rack swap is a labor-heavy PITA, but it's do-able. If you can keep the car off the road for 2 days or so, you could save that $385 by doing it yourself and put it towards new tie-rod ends ($35), PS fluid ($5), and front-end alignment ($60?), plus the other stuff that would need to be done.

As always, if the price is right...

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Too much! It needs too much work to be road worthy. If the guy doesn't know **** about cars, try pointing out other things that are wrong with it, what it will cost to fix, etc. Then offer him a grand!:D

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
I would wait for another car to come along... but then again my #1 rule on cars is.. no "project" cars at least for the time being... the cost for repairs seems to always be more than anticipated and unless the guy is asking a few hundred dollars i wouldnt give him more than 1k. Not so encouraging words... but thats my honest impression:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
with all do respect.......................hells no!!!!!

I wouldnt want it. But god bless you whatever you do!!!!!

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the problem is i need to sell my pos celica that isn't selling. it really isn't a pos, i'm just mad at it for not selling.

yeah, i suppose i should pass it up. there's one that's "supposedly" clean for 2900. it has 140k on it, and the owner is a wholesaler, so i really doubt it's clean. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
That doesn't sound like too great a deal to me. I paid 2800 for mine.....it had 170k miles but the interior was great and nothing needed immediate attention. Especially if you cant get everything done on your own, it seems like it would be a big pain and rather expensive on top of that. But that's just my opinion.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
hell no, that guy is askin waaaaaaaay too much for the car and what it needs. i got my car with 116K miles for 2400, and the only major thing that was wrong with it was a bad clutch. so, figure overall i paid 2900 for it.

find another one, good luck!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You should be able to talk him down. That car has no wholesale value due to mileage, engine swap, and no cat.

I bought my white 91 SE-R for $500 with 261000 miles. It needed:
Valve cover gasket ($12 ?)
tranny switches ($50)
Ball Joints ($70)
Alternator Rebuilt ($45)
Headlight Switch($40)
A/C didn't work (removed) Needed new belt ($11)
Fog Lights didn't work (removed)
ABD didn't work (disabled now)
Blown front struts ($0 had 99 SE struts lying around)
Trunk Leaks ($0)
Wiper rewireing ($3)
Hood is black primer, hasn't been painted yet (hey, it runs fine with the hood like that)
Alignment ($60)
Hood latch support broken ($1.50)
New clutch cable ($35)
All the labor was my own when I could find time except the alignment.

But that took a couple weeks working on it occasionally in a garage. I had my 99 SEntra in the meantime. That adds up to about $800.

I would not want to pay more than $600 for what you listed. That car needs 2 major items and has a very questionable history with cheap fixes done to it already (no cat).

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
That sounds way to much. I paid 800 more (2800) for my 91' which is in almost perfect shape. The paint is in great condition, the engine has 100k miles, and it was the original owner and he had all his maintenence papers, and he did all the stuff on time, althoough he didnt run snythetic oil, grr... but he was an old man and im sure he didnt drive it hard. The only thing i can think of that is wrong is that there is a small dent (maybe a little less then twice the size of a quarter) in the back of the car from him backing into a snow plow, dont ask me how he didnt see it.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I paid $800 for mine with 121k on it. Original owner too. It needed:

driver's side axle $80
battery $50
rear brake pads $15
tires $200

There were other small things, but that's it. I found another one I need to look at for $300 with water in the engine. $2000 is way too much for what is needed to that. I would offer $700 or $800 for it, no more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts