SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Numbers aren't that high as I've chucked the car on the dyno prematurely so that everybody can just get a taste of things to come. Several months have gone by with people waiting for some figures on these cams so here are some for starters. I would really love to see a run from the USA as our dynos here do read differently.

Keep thse things in mind when looking at the sheet:

I only got the cams switching on Thursday night so had to take a car that was almost untuned and get it into some sort of shape to put on the dyno, we had about 3 1/2 hours to acheive this by road tuning on Friday night. I think the Alienprobe did an awesome job of getting her to the point where we could dyno Saturday morning so thanks again Dude :). The tune is certainly not finished though.

The intake is just the standard plastic intake pipe from the Primera with a $10US pod filter that is literally out of a bargain bin. This connects to a filthy, corroded throttlebody . Once the Apexi filter arrives from Japan a custom 3" alloy intake will be added + getting the TB sorted thanks to James (Punkoutnz).

I believe the exhaust may be choking the motor as it is 2.5" with a section at the back of the headers that is 2.25 or 2.3". Next week it will go 2.5" the whole way.. Getting a legal 3" here looks to be a real issue :(

The Alienprobe had to back the timing right off as we've got a problem with the spark at the moment and it was missing something awful before timing was knocked back. I'm going to add some decent leads to replace the standard crappy ones & possibly even change to the VE dizzy and / or get a MSD & external coil happening if it can work. I would like to go with a colder plug than the 6's that are in it right now so good spark is a must.

Watch this space, I'm going to make some changes & get her back on the dyno so there's more to come. There are a couple more S4 equipped VE's in the making right now so hopefully they will also be willing to share their numbers.

Here is a video of the run, told you she looks like a granny car :):

YouTube - Primera P11 SR20VE NEO VVL Dyno

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
how much hp is that
179~180whp.

Still curious, but if I did the conversion correctly, you've got MASSIVE torque!? :confused:

Looking at the dyno, I'm just going to say that it's at 400Nm torque at the wheels across the band. (It's hard to read the sheet)

This converts to 295 ft-lbs! WTF?! That doesn't seem right to me at all... Someone clue me in here, I've got to be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
180HP thats a sexy power curve though!!!
Yeah, it's a DREAM to drive!
Very linear on power delivery, FELT great on the road for upper end power.

These results DON'T show the true performance of this car!

I'm just wondering WHAT it is that restricts the power up high?
I'm guessing normal sized TB and plenum?
Intake?
Exhaust..?

·
L337 VVL
268 Posts
Yeah a n1 intake, bigger maf, bigger exhuast, high flow cat should free up some flow! but to really complment the larger cams more compression is needed!

A final tune and some small tweaking will hopefully get you up in the 190's which is pritty respectable

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah a n1 intake, bigger maf, bigger exhuast, high flow cat should free up some flow! but to really complment the larger cams more compression is needed!

A final tune and some small tweaking will hopefully get you up in the 190's which is pritty respectable
You might need to enquire what this motor already has...
It has MAAAAAAAAAAAAASSIVE amounts of compression (probably as high as you can go on pump gas).
It also has NO catalytic convertor.

Sorry to answer these questions for Clint, but as it was my engine, I feel pretty qualified to do so.

But you're right, more tuning, intake up-grade, and exhaust; bring it ON!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
179~180whp.

Still curious, but if I did the conversion correctly, you've got MASSIVE torque!? :confused:

Looking at the dyno, I'm just going to say that it's at 400Nm torque at the wheels across the band. (It's hard to read the sheet)

This converts to 295 ft-lbs! WTF?! That doesn't seem right to me at all... Someone clue me in here, I've got to be doing something wrong.
The sheet shows that it peaks at about 440Nm @ about 7,000rpm, I never asked the gent if that was accurate or not and don't know what an average VE does.

I can say that the car will pull from under 2,000 rpm to its 9,250 rpm redline and is very torquey indeed. When Amdeman got the motor built he wanted a powerful beast that he could putt down to the shops in and I think that the goal was acheived admirably.

·
P10 pro
545 Posts
I think you have to ignore the Newton meter numbers, 440Nm = 324 foot pound. It's not possible for a VE to have 324 ft# at 7,000 rpm. The 180hp sounds about right. Good job on the dyno, looking forward to seeing more dyno runs.

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Its torque at the wheels, so prob cant compare it to USA figures. EVLNXR put out 750 Nm at the wheels on the same dyno, now that would move buildings!

Its a real shame Clint couldnt get a 3" system on there, im wondering if we should make a bolt in section with a 3" dump and a solenoid of some sorts, if its easy bolt in, could just put the muffler back on for warrants.

On a side note, i have a P10 with a p11 sr20ve, its got the stock p10 exhaust on it still, so pretty low performance for now, but i cut the bottom of the air box out to let it breath a bit, and man what a huge difference. Its got a trust panel filter in it, but the intake to the airbox is only about 2", so i guess it was holding it back. Just got to get a exhaust on it, and then get Mr Alienprobe to wave his magic wand over the ECU.

Sorry to hijack your thread! ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thing to keep in mind is that our dynos read lower than USA ones so these figures won't seem that high by American standards perhaps. It was still the most powerful NA car there today & a few of the turbos were making about 145 - 160wkw on the same dyno. This thing gets up & hauls, it is a lot faster than your average VE.

·
Registered
606 Posts
WAS THIS ON STOCK SR20VE , STOCK INTAKE MANIFOLD/TB. What type of headers did you have, did you tune cam gears? What type of ECU? Did you reshime the head or did you just bolt them in? what springs / retainers did you use. include all this info into your post plz, its really important. Thank you for sharing all your info

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
WAS THIS ON STOCK SR20VE , STOCK INTAKE MANIFOLD/TB. What type of headers did you have, did you tune cam gears? What type of ECU? Did you reshime the head or did you just bolt them in? what springs / retainers did you use. include all this info into your post plz, its really important. Thank you for sharing all your info
Not a stock VE, mods are:

Port-matched Fujitsubo headers & mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust (well mostly anyway). intake runners are port-matched too.
Ported head with 3 angle valve job on standard size valves.
Cams were degreed to F-Cam specs, not just bolted in. The clearances were measured & no shims were required. Standard springs & retainers.
Bikirom computer on P11 DE ECU
SR16VE pistons
8cw crank & girdle
370cc injectors, Walbro 500hp fuel pump & Nismo FPR
Underdrive crank & water pump pullies
Rev limiter is set to 9,250 as the cams are designed to run to 9,600, it ran out of puff at about 8,750

·
Registered
263 Posts
EDIT: Ya beat me to it Clint ;)

1 - 20 of 104 Posts