SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I start my car, the belts squeal for about 10 seconds solid if I have the fans cut on when I start my car. Turn the fans off-the belts stop squealing. Press on the brake-belts squeal. Turn on defroster-belts squeal. I just tightened both tensioners until it started getting hard to tighten..do I need to tighten them some more, or what? This is so gay, and very embarrassing. Also, my power steering line is cracked and is spewing fluid everywhere. Could this be contributing to the squealing? I just want it to go away....any suggestions? BTW I have the 4set UR pullies and gates belts with 60k miles on them.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
If your belts squeal, tighten them down!! Get rid of that leak also!

This may be cooky, but this is how I check my belts tension when installing them:

Grab the belt, and twist it. The belt should just barely get to the vertical position, or in other words, rotate 90 degrees. If it is very loose then it will easily go past this.

It's always worked for me.

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
yea, check to see that they are properly adjusted....but also check for wear on them...like cracks....if u have fluid going to the belts it will cause them to squeel, i dont know if power steering fluid eats at rubber.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Also, my power steering line is cracked and is spewing fluid everywhere. Could this be contributing to the squealing?
Nah! Spewing steering fluid all over your belts actually helps them. :rolleyes: ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts