SR20 Forum banner

Would you be interested in a guided (by me) bus tour of NYC on the free day?

• I'd be willing to pay more than $200

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I'd be willing to pay between $100 and $200

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I'd be willing to pay between $50 and $100

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm not sure

• I wouldn't be interested in a bus tour; I'll do it on my own

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to gauge interest in doing a bus tour into NYC for you out-of-towners. I was going to look into renting a bus for the day and splitting the cost however-many-ways (I think it's 40-44 per bus?) I'm awaiting quotes right now. Also, please let me know what sights you'd want to see... Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty (this would take half a day or so away as you'd have to wait for a ferry and then get to the island - it could be done on Sunday as the picnic is in the park that ferries leave from NJ), World Trade Center, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Times Square, etc, etc... tell me what you'd like to stop and spend time at versus what you'd like to just drive by (the WTC is something that can be absorbed just by driving by for example)

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
what makes you qualified as a tour guide? :squint: ;) i think its a good idea if you can get the bus for a good price and show the city to the out of state folk...

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rob said:
what makes you qualified as a tour guide? :squint: ;) i think its a good idea if you can get the bus for a good price and show the city to the out of state folk...
I've always lived near the city so I've been in the city my entire life and I was an architecture major in college and learned a lot of little tidbits. I've been taking out-of-towners on tours around Manhattan for a while and they always enjoy it.

Edit: I also worked in construction getting around the city a lot for 4 years before my current job in Jersey City (back to NYC in two months I hope!) so I've really learned my way around

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
martin_g34 said:
What's on tap for the tour?
Tell me what you'd like to see... that's what I'm looking for-feedback.

I'll tell you what I used to do for my tours - I started off at the World Trade Center and went to the top for an overview of the city and of the day. Obviously, we'll have to ammend that to the Empire State Building or maybe the Rainbow Room (not sure if it's opened yet). After the Empire State Building, we'd probably head down to the World Trade Center site or "Ground Zero" as everyone else likes to call it (btw, I HATE the term... it's still the WTC to me) There's not really a whole lot to see at the site. It's just a big hole with construction slowly going on. From there, we could take a walk down along the Hudson River with fantastic views of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. Then around through Battery Park and up the East River to the South Street Seaport for lunch (if we time it right). The South Street Seaport is a mall of sorts on the pier on the East River just below the Brooklyn Bridge. Everyone seems to like the view of the bridge and they tell me it reminds them of the shot in the opening credits of Night Court (remember that show?!) From there, we check out Wall Street and then wind our way through the village and China Town where we usually hop on the subway up to the 70s or 90s in Central Park (depending on how much of a walking mood the people I'm with are in) We take a nice walk through Central Park which, even if you live in the area and have never done, it's amazing. It's amazing that you can be in the middle of this major city and, at places in the park, not even realize you're in such a major city! From there, it's down 5th Avenue checking out all the stores (not stopping, just looking) Then, check out Radio City and where the Today Show is taped and then over to Broadway, 6th, or 7th Avenue and down to Times Square where we could probably have dinner by this time.

The only thing that I always regret not being able to make it to is Grand Central Station. The only way to get the crowd there is after Times Square or on the way to Times Square. It's about 4 or 5 LONG city blocks away across town. Usually at this time in the day, I ask everyone if they want to and they're usually too tired.

We can probably change some stuff up with a bus and take it around a bit more instead of walking. However, part of the experience is walking. You'd want to walk through the Village and China Town. 5th Avenue and even Park Avenue or the financial areas we could probably hop on the bus. We could also add some other stuff in there with saved time from not walking and taking the bus.

Other ideas might be Coney Island, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (if there's enough interest), Yankees Stadium, Shea Stadium, Brooklyn promenade. Give me some ideas everyone!

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As an FYI, there will be no OFFICIAL things to do on this day... it's a day off to spend as you please. We will have information for those who wish to do various things (like drag racing, go karts, amusements parks, touristy type things, etc. There is no official event though that everyone will be going to. This bus tour idea is something that I had suggested since there are probably going to be a good number of out-of-towners coming and who might enjoy getting around to see all the touristy things in a convenient way. If not though, less work for us :)

As for the locals... it'd be stupid since you've probably been in the city dozens and dozens and dozens of times and know all of the tourist sites.

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WestVirginiaSER said:
I would love to take it to a drag strip... Mayb rent one for all the Se-Rs for a day :D
Have fun... we will be providing OPTIONS and not organizing anything. The suggestion for a bus tour was a personal thing that I was offering. If it doesn't happen, it'll make my life easier actually :)

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
personally i don't like the idea of no organized activity on saturday of the convention... i mean you check in friday night... party and then do nothing at all related to why you are there for a whole day and the picnic on Sunday. it seems like a waste of time especially since out of towners like me have then drive back on Sunday night or Monday requiring another day off from work. why not move the picnic to saturday, that way people have a chance to meet and hang out and then party saturday night, then do whatever on sunday with the awards from the picnic on sunday afternoon and then those who need/want to leave early don't feel like they are missing anything.

i keep hearing about how fragmented things become saturday night and this is a big reason why. put together a forced socialization atmosphere, i.e. picnic and people will have a chance to meet and greet, something that does not really function so well friday night. then everyone will have a chance to hang out even more saturday night.

sorry for the hijack but i think a free day is a waste of time and my money.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts