SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Tools on order
1,758 Posts
We are looking to make the free day not so free. We want to do a indoor go karting as an organized event. Then list off all the other options for the evening.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wanna go to the Volo auto museum to see the Grateful Dead's tour bus.

(You can now make with the dirty hippy comments). :D

That CIK is pretty expensive.... I'm sure you could get a group rate on it though. Between a track day and that, people would be forking out some loot. Then again, this would be cool for those that fly in or don't track their car.

·
Tools on order
1,758 Posts
VooDoo said:
I wanna go to the Volo auto museum to see the Grateful Dead's tour bus.

(You can now make with the dirty hippy comments). :D

That CIK is pretty expensive.... I'm sure you could get a group rate on it though. Between a track day and that, people would be forking out some loot. Then again, this would be cool for those that fly in or don't track their car.
It will be around $50 so not so expensive. Plus they have a full bar and arcade room .

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VooDoo said:
Can we stop by the Volo Auto Museum first? I need to see the Dead's tour bus. :D
I'm all for it. :)

Jose said:
What about a dyno day? There are two shops located pretty close to Schaumburg. AMS ( http://www.amsperformance.com/ ), and Sound Performance( http://www.sound-performance.com/ ).
Just based on my experience in California in 2004, a dyno day is really, really boring for anyone not dynoing a car. As yet another option, most definitely. Sounds like karting is the main event and I'm sure a lot of people will do it. Personally, I'd rather spend the day in Chicago but that's just me. :) I think as an organized group activity, karting is a good idea.

·
natural81
482 Posts
i guess it all depends when the convention is being held. once thats decided we can see if there are any big events happening in chicago. some big summer events that happen here is the Taste of chicago (around 4th of july), Air show (mid August). or see if we can get a group rate at the karts...

·
Tools on order
1,758 Posts
We are looking at doing a dyno day, but not so much one where everyone goes. Like Matt said they can be pretty boring.

The karting will be a mid morning to early afternoon thing. There will be plenty of time to see things and drink afterwords. Hell even if you don't want to kart there is a full bar and a large upstairs area to watch.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I think we should have the karting be a pre-register thing at the time of registration. Then we have an idea of whom will be participating.

I still think we should follow suit with plenty of free day type stuff to give people options!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I'd say that most of us northeast people end up going into Chicago for the day.
I'd venture most of the out of towners will do the same... (Eric, George/Lesley, Thomas).

·
Tools on order
1,758 Posts
david said:
I'd say that most of us northeast people end up going into Chicago for the day.
I'd venture most of the out of towners will do the same... (Eric, George/Lesley, Thomas).
Thats why I'm trying to make this event a little earlier. We want to offer a organized event and free time. I think you all should come hang out in the am then go to the city after lunch.

I am going to try and look into a dinner type thing downtown also. Something kinda like in NYC only 1 table, or a room.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Well if you plan on having it midday then that cuts out most of the day. Many people make this part of their vacation now and since they may never get to see the big city they are in, they like to spend as much time as they can exploring it. If you are planning on doing it, maybe later or earlier in the day. Not smack dab in the middle.

Again this is just my opinion, but I'm sure most of us who come every year will agree. Many of us enjoy the free day.

I know you will get the guys who don't care as much about visiting a big city and will do everything that is planned as well (AKA, most of us are getting old and the youngins just want to do car stuff the whole time).

·
natural81
482 Posts
man, if it were my first time in chicago i would rather check out the city..man i love living here and if anyone wants go on the sears tower, check out millineum park, grant park, or navy pier ill glady go with these people. meet some were and take the L to downtown and make it an all day thing..the lake front is the place to be in the summer....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.