SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't washed my car, well, since I got it in August, so I decided she needed a bath. Before the bath, she was giving me funky signals, the same ones I got when the alternator was going bad before--the brake, battery and ABS idiot lights would come on, and my radio would go on the fritz. So I figure, damn, it's probably the alternator going out again. So I pull into the car wash, turn the car off and clean her up. Once it's clean, I get in and try to start it. Nothing. No juice to anything. No dome light, no idiot lights, no clock, nothing. So I test the battery, and it's good. I check all the fuses in the dash and they're good. Even though the battery is good, I had a friend give me a jump. It couldn't hurt, right? Well, it worked, kind of. For some reason it temporarily reversed the short or something, long enough to get it home. But then when I got it home it did the same exact thing as at the car wash again. Now it's dead, again.

What the hell is wrong with my car? It sounds like a faulty ground or something, right? It would seem like the water or just the humidity must have triggered it to fail completely. I checked the ground and it's solid. Battery terminals are tight. What should I check now? I'm considering just giving up and taking it to a mechanic. Does anybody have any idea what this problem could possibly be? A fusible link maybe? How can you tell if they're blown?

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
this happened to me once, in my case it turned out to be the wire that clips in just off the + on the battery.. about 1inch back the wire had broke

·
SE-R On A Budget
97 Posts
Sounds just like a loose or dirty battery connection, but you said they're tight. Check the power connections (ring terminals) at your underhood fusebox. Make sure everythings clean. I've seen cases where even tho the connection is tight, there is no electrical connection because of corrosion/rust.

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zipstrips said:
this happened to me once, in my case it turned out to be the wire that clips in just off the + on the battery.. about 1inch back the wire had broke
After reading this, I went out and jiggled those wires all around there, and boom! My power came back. I can't believe it was that simple! Thanks a lot for the insight, man! Eventually I'll have to find the offending wire and hook it up properly.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
white classic said:
After reading this, I went out and jiggled those wires all around there, and boom! My power came back. I can't believe it was that simple! Thanks a lot for the insight, man! Eventually I'll have to find the offending wire and hook it up properly.
Hey, im glad that worked for ya.. :D

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
look at the red box on your postive battery terminal. thats the big boy, if thats not working, your car wont. look at the wires going into it. make sure there not loose and the plastic is not melted. take a sniff of it actually...you'll probably smell burnt plastic. over time resistance builds up in it, and it burns the plastic. the metal contacts in the plastic dont touch correctly due to the change in shape from it melting, and your car will only work when it wants to. to fix it, fix the connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts