SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the 98 Trans Ams came out I was hooked. For two years I went as Ben98TAwannabe on LS1.com forums. Anybody remember me by chance?

After realizing I couldn't afford one at the time and getting sick of driving my hand-me-down 93 Olds Eighty Eight I traded up for a 98 Sentra SE. Thru SE-R.net and the SE-R mailing list I learned that the SR20DE engine responds very well to any kind of mods, NA or otherwise. It is SUCH a strong motor. Several of us in the SE-R community have FMAX turbo kits (www.f-max.com) and put out right at 400hp on STOCK INTERNALS. Japanese versions of our motors have OEM turbos on them, the Bluebird puts out 200hp with a T25 and right there in torque and the GTi-R motor puts out around 230 with a T28. There are also RWD versions of these motors in Japanese Silvias. In the whole 4 cylinder performance world the SR20DE is easily in the top 3 along with the Honda B18C and the Mitsubishi 4G63 (I think that's it, DSM guys correct me if I'm wrong), possibly the best depending on who you talk to.

The most AWESOME thing about these cars is that you can go buy B13 Sentra SE-R (91-94) for $2-3k and slap a FMAX turbo kit on it and be making a Viper-killing 400hp. (400hp in a 2500lb car kills a Viper, not to mention any stock F-body). $7-8k and you have a RELIABLE sleeper that can kill 99% of everything on the road.

I went back to LS1.com a few days ago as a matter of fact and looked at the supercharger and turbocharger solutions. All this talk of "man you shouldn't turn that up to 9psi or you'll blow something with stock internals!" I smiled.
22 psi is easily attainable with one of these FMAX kits (with water injection to thwart detonation).

Anyways, F-bodies weined my whole automotive ethusiasm. My first run down the drag strip was in a LS1.com's auto 98 Trans Am. I was yelling "Woohoo!" nearly in orgasm in the 1-2 shift.
I love those cars. I spent much time with Ralph Gobel and his MTI stroked 98 Trans Am in Sacramento. I even helped him put his lift in his garage.

Anyways, I'm just trying to bridge the gap here. LS1s (and LS6s
) are awesome motors. I know the LT1 and LT4 are too, but unfortunately I've never got a chance to ride in a car equipped with one. We Nissan folk as a whole are not rice boys like many Honda boys are. importnut, the mod of the 240SX forum, is one of the few REAL Honda non-riceboy Honda enthusiasts and he has stated to me that he believes this himself, being a Honda enthusiast for years and it saddens him. You will find that the majority of us are TRUE automotive performance enthusiasts who care MUCH more about go than show. Give us a chance. I'd for one LOVE to compare notes and catch us what's been happening in the f-body scene in the past few years.

As far as the Kills Forum, I'd like to hear some more discussion on yea or nay for its existence. I for one never go in there and read anything so I honestly don't know what kind of trash talk goes on in there.

I actually created these forums in the image of LS1.com.
I always wanted to have my own forums. Now I have for a year and a half.

Peace out

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE stock, slow, and for sale
93 NX2000 Quaife ATB diff, JWT clutch, SMC short shifter, front STB, front ES control arm bushings, JWT POP charger, B14 SE-R wheels as soon as I get my tire swappin' done

[This message has been edited by Ben98SentraSE (edited 10-18-2001).]

G

·
As an F-Body enthusiast I can respect that. I don't think it's so much the story is how some moderator banned all the F-Body guys that just wanted to dispell the myth and defend their cars. That got under people's skin.

JMHO,
Buschman

------------------
My Navy Blue 2000 Firebird Firehawk

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I was the person who banned everyone. the reason they were banned was because they acted like trolls. They came over here and acted hostile. We don't need that here.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
SE-Rs cruise faster and lower under the public's radar than any other sport compact. What made them so interesting all of the sudden?

I was busy most of today, so I don't know what happened, though I have an idea.

Anyone care to provide the link to what started this? I imagine it either goes like "my SRE cAn b33t yous" or "I found a forum about small cars from a foreign marque, so I can only assume they're exactly the same as Club Si - everyone sign up and start posting drivel."

I didn't even know this forum had a "Kill Stories" section until I looked in it just now. Why does any place need a kill stories section? Isn't that what Club Si is for?

More signal, less noise.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As far as the Kills Forum, I'd like to hear some more discussion on yea or nay for its
existence.</font>
You can kill it if you want, makes no difference to me. But the stories will probably get posted somewhere, most likely in the Off topic section. Sadly, a "kills" section seems to be too common and accepted.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
When the 98 Trans Ams came out I was hooked. For two years I went as Ben98TAwannabe on LS1.com forums. Anybody remember me by chance?
</font>
I remember you
I had a '97 Z28 back then. Sorry these guys are a$$holes.
CB at ls1.com, member #442.

------------------
98 Z28 1LE M6 | Autox/RR toy
2001 Trans Am M6 | Bone stock
Who needs VTEC, I got LOWTEC!
rm -rf /bin/laden

·
Registered
448 Posts
I too have to agree with a lot of what Ben has said.

I too was on LS1.com quite a bit, and grew up under the GM umbrella and owned many F-bods myself. (I better be careful to not give away just how old of a fart I really am!)

In fact one of my clients and good friend is an LS1.com sponsor. www.jannettyracing.com and he himself did some work on my SE-R. He's got a 00 WS6 with an intercooled Vortech, and my buddy has a 01 WS6 with a procharger. (Too bad I spanked both of them HARD in the SE-R
)

Like Ben said, these little cars are pretty amazing. I bought mine as a daily driver then started to play with it. With some bolt on's I got the car to run 14.1 all motor with a crappy 2.0 60'. I then got bit by the turbo bug after another SE-R owner layed down like 336whp with his car.

Soooo, that winter I slapped a F-Max Stage-II kit on the stock 35K longblock (Aside from some very mild street cams) and did the rest of the supporting items (Exhaust etc)

Next spring the car laid down 409hp AT THE WHEELS with 22psi boost, ran for TWO entire seasons without breaking a single thing. Not even melting a plug. The car trapped in the 122-124mph range. Sick.

I have sold the car to a guy in Cali who pushed it to 24.5psi with no troubles. However sadly a bad choice in oil made the car spin a bearing with the boost controller off. It wasn't the boost that killed the motor he was only running 8lbs of boost, but oil starvation as he hit a chicane combined with the crap oil.

Anyway, not to ramble on, but seeing as I had one of the stronger SE-R's and came from a GM backround, I can say with my head high that the SE-R community is one hell of a bunch of people. Not a bunch of dumb ass kids who talk crap with nothing to back it up.

Good people, very capable cars...what else can you ask for.

Take care guys, and hope to see more of you around.

·
RWD Junkie
119 Posts
Heh...I remember when I first met Ben back at Purdue. LS1 junkie all the way. I'm not against domestics, I just don't care for what they offer. Yeah, a big huge smelly, holier than thou burnout is sweet...the sound is great, the attitude is even better. However, there is just something about imports that keeps me coming back.

I remember discussing domestics vs imports with Ben. I can't exactly remember when or how it happen, but he was definitely bit by the import bug. I'll have to admit that at the time, I didn't know what Nissans were capable of doing. Yeah, there's the 300zx, but try and "not" get noticed by everyone.

As time went on, I swapped out the pitiful 1.6l out for my B18C1, Ben started digging into his sentra. We had some fun nights running almost side by side.

Fast forward to Ben's turbo running impressively low times down to the 13's with a T25 and street tires.

Ben is right, I'm a honda junkie to core. It does sadden me to see punks running around doing some of the most ridiculous crap to their cars...and then I get put in the same group because my car is loud? I've always been a function vs form guy. I'd rather blow $900 on a diff than fix the rock chips on my hood. Do prettier body panels make the car go faster? No.

I stepped into Nissan territory with my '95 240SX SE a few months. I've set some realistic goals and I can't wait to see what I can get an sr20DET to do for me.

Modifying my civic and 240 side by side just makes me grin from ear to ear.

There is something sweet about dinky cars. I hope to own an original mini some day just to spite people for saying that I drive a car that's too small

So in closing: I hope we can generete an extraordinary resource for 240 owners. There just isn't enough out there and there is so much to know. (Al, get on that rear brake thing we keep talking about!!)

Everybody have a great one!

------------------
'95 civic gsr
'95 240sx SE
http://importnut.net

·
Registered
723 Posts
the 3s-gte is the best 2.0 turbo motor followed by the sr20det with the 4g63 trailing in 3rd. b18 can't touch any of them. possibly 3 of the best mass-production 4 bangers evr made

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
the 3s-gte is the best 2.0 turbo motor followed by the sr20det with the 4g63 trailing in 3rd. b18 can't touch any of them. possibly 3 of the best mass-production 4 bangers evr made</font>
Bah...no way. Sorry I don't buy it.

IMHO the SR20DET is THEE best production 4 banger around.

I'd like to see your reasoning why you think the Toyota motor is superior in design. REAL facts not just "so and so made X power"

I would swap #1 and #2 in your listing.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
765 Posts
dont listen to limited slip, he rode the "ShortBus" to school growing up

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, N2K brakes, 91 intake cam, SMC Short Shifter, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Gang;

I've been over on the Z/28 Forum, trying to smooth things over, letting them see that we're just car nuts like they are. Hopefully, it'll have some effect.

I both sides got a little out of whack yesterday, and I'm just trying to do my part.

Plus, it's got me pining for a newer F-body, all over again. Trouble is...the lease on my daily driver is up within the year. Argh.

Maybe one of the 'last' Camaros is in my future....hmmm. I've owned a 2nd-gen and third-gen....

·
Registered
723 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:
Bah...no way. Sorry I don't buy it.

IMHO the SR20DET is THEE best production 4 banger around.

I'd like to see your reasoning why you think the Toyota motor is superior in design. REAL facts not just "so and so made X power"

I would swap #1 and #2 in your listing.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 10-19-2001).]
</font>
easy. motorsport racing success.

·
Registered
448 Posts
easy. motorsport racing success.</font>
So basically you have no hard data as to what makes the Toyota motor superior in design to the SR20DE.

I figured as much.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So basically you have no hard data as to what makes the Toyota motor superior in design to the SR20DE.

I figured as much.
</font>
Do you have hard data to show that the 3SGTE is less superior than the SR20DET?

[This message has been edited by WhiteSER (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
723 Posts

I figured as much.
</font>
no. it's because the 3sgte has a semi hemispherical dual-stationary geometric head with rotating contour flux capacitator that generates less atmospheric osmotic back-pressure resistance than the telescoping design of the sr20's.

superiority is proven in real life applications, not on blueprints.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Blah, blah, blah.....I would like to see it up against a Sunny GTiR

·
Registered
178 Posts
you all are crazy... the Yugo's 1.3 litre is THE BEST motor of all time. j/k

------------------

·
Registered
723 Posts
somebody's a little touchy. a little defensive about your coveted sr20de, aren't you? if anything, your hostility and close-mindedness makes you more of a "riceboy" than me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
no. it's because the 3sgte has a semi hemispherical dual-stationary geometric head with rotating contour flux capacitator that generates less atmospheric osmotic back-pressure resistance than the telescoping design of the sr20's.
</font>
Uh right. So like I said you don't have any hard data or facts to back up your statement.

superiority is proven in real life applications, not on blueprints.

</font>
Tell that to the guys who run 4 seconds in the quarter mile, and tell that to the F1 teams who spend LOADS more time on the CAD table than the race track.

Even still, I don't see any real life examples of totally factory stock GTE motors putting down over 400whp.

I have the facts and the engineering data to shape my opinion of the SR20. Things like spot faced rods, bronze wrist pin inserts etc etc. I do not have all the facts about the Toyota but figured you might so I inquired and you could not provide any. So your argument is simple internet rice boy racing. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 10-20-2001).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts