SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good lip to add to the bumper for better aerodynamics,

reason i ask is when i hit an indicated 140 mph on the speedo the front end felt like it was going to lift (scariest feeling)

·
Registered
312 Posts
See if you can find a pic on here of Racerlinns vinyl siding front airdam. From what i hear after talking to him, it helped his MPG and it also added a little downforce.

Hope that helps.
Rick

Edit: as a matter of fact here ya go. Found it after looking a little....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes e did. Used a heat gun to shape it and then just started in he center and worked his way out screwing it into the bumper. Got some of the smooth stuff and it really does look good but you will have to take care of it pretty close as it gets chipped real easily.

At the same time i also agree with the other guys here. if you really need to go 140 it should be done on the track and not on the streets. If ya wanna do it for looks, hey thats cool but common where can you really safely do 140 mph on public roads?

I have been to 140 in a couple of cars both on the street and on the track. Trust me if you get that car on a track you may finally realize how unsafe public roads really are.

Keep the speed on the track man.
BTWno flames intended. Just the honest truth.
Rick

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for all your kind responses. i knew i would get flamed for that post, it was expected. i did that run about 3 years ago, this was on the 15 fwy going to Las Vegas w/ no cars in front or back of me for miles, total straight line, no on or off ramps, the safest condition i can recall in my 13 years of driving of, course there is no gaurantee of a safe driving environment this was one of those tempting situations when you want to try and test the equipment that you have. i.e. ecu...hehehe

i have been taking my racing at the track since 1995. of course in the earlier 90's i also have raced on the streets.

the increased danger of hurting yourself and specially to others is not worth the risk to race on the streets.

i will go ahead and try the vinyl or maybe try to get a carbon fibre lip fabricated

Tevs
"just one of the many SOCAL-SERCA Monkeys"

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you question my integrity sir!

Tevs
(pulling out a white glove and slapping you with it)
:D

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
I have been "out'ed"! It's a Lowe's special (my favorite Speed shop).
The air dam is a piece of vinyl house siding that I trimmed and bent. It's attached to the bumper with about (20) 3" mending plates. I basically sandwiched the lower lip of the bumper and the top lip of the air dam between two plates and bolted them together (ugly graphic to follow):
PLATE _________
BUMPER LIP ----------------------------------
AIR DAM LIP ----------------------------------
PLATE ----------------
The tough part is getting the holes drilled. I left the air dam with extra length on both ends and started bolting it to the bumper in the middle. I drilled the first pilot hole in the middle and attached the air dam at that point. I was then able to work my way to each side by fitting, drilling, and then bolting it up about every 8-10 inches. The ends on both sides by the wheels are held on by a single bolt right before the wheel well. After fitting the entire piece, I then trimmed the ends on both sides to match the curve of the wheel well. I roughed up the surface of the vinyl as well as possible and then sprayed many coats of paint on it. Here's the catch: the paint does not hold up to rock chips and curbs very well and I am constantly touching it up. It's been on for 6 years and looksgood from about 15 feet away, but any closer
and you can see that it's not exactly perfect. I'm not that anal about the appearance. It does make the front of the car feel more planted at highway speed and my highway mileage did go UP about 2 mpg. But you also have to be very aware of curbs, bumps, etc.. I have Tokico/AGX's and with the width of vinyl siding I used I now have only 5" of clearance at the front end. I have to turn in and out of my own driveway to keep from scaping. But the whole thing is actually pretty sturdy. I have bent it back on a parking curb to about a 45 degree angle and it bounces right back (just needs another coat of paint).
Good luck from Mr. Ghetto! (vinyl siding/air dam, sprint car parts/front strut brace, black iron gas pipe/rear strut brace, dryer hose/fresh air intake, paper file/battery relocation box, gutter leaf screen/lower radiator screen, can 'o urethane/motor mounts)

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Racerlinn said:
[
Good luck from Mr. Ghetto! (vinyl siding/air dam, sprint car parts/front strut brace, black iron gas pipe/rear strut brace, dryer hose/fresh air intake, paper file/battery relocation box, gutter leaf screen/lower radiator screen, can 'o urethane/motor mounts) [/B]
LOL! :) thank you for the helpful how-to "O Great Frugal One"

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
RACELINN

You are my hero!!! I have been looking for that damn SE-R with vinyl siding dam!!!! And here you are with a "how-to"!!!!
ALRIGHT!!! You will be seeing me sporting this damn dam. :D
I plan on staying stock height.

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
Hey, that's "Mr. Racerlinn" to you buddy. ;)

It's tough to find the flat, smooth vinyl siding.
You may be able to find soffet a lot easier (that's what goes under the eve's and gutters on a house).

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
enjoyDride said:
Yo Tevs, just put a 45lb weight on the front of your car.....hehehe:p

Alfie
hmmm. interesting point, we will have to ask Rob Cadle to calculate the optimum position to place the ballast.

;) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts