SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized today that under hard acceleration and at constant 8psi of boost. Temps rise drastically. Current cooling upgrades:
- CSF radiator (two row)
- flex-a-lite fans (running all the time)
- nismo radiator cap
- water wetter.
I intend to get my A/C working so I still have all those things. Is there anything you guyz w/FMIC + A/C system have done to prevent the car from running hot. Temps today got as high as 210 acceleration with boost. At idle of course it's fine. But even cruising in warm weather, temps are at 190. Any info would be helpful.
 

·
70/30 Racing
Joined
·
11,372 Posts
chipey23 said:
I realized today that under hard acceleration and at constant 8psi of boost. Temps rise drastically. Current cooling upgrades:
- CSF radiator (two row)
- flex-a-lite fans (running all the time)
- nismo radiator cap
- water wetter.
I intend to get my A/C working so I still have all those things. Is there anything you guyz w/FMIC + A/C system have done to prevent the car from running hot. Temps today got as high as 210 acceleration with boost. At idle of course it's fine. But even cruising in warm weather, temps are at 190. Any info would be helpful.
well, the thermostat opens at 180*, so it should always be around there anyway. if you see much above 210-220, thats hot. these sound fine.

dont run your fans all the time, they draw a lot of power (like 60 amps) and you lose power with them on. another thing is they are a hindrance to airflow above 35mph and arent needed anyway.
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the fans off, sitting in traffic the fan doesn't come on unit about 220 according to my gauge. So that's why I run them all the time. I'm trying to find out if I should ditch my A/C system for the sake of cooling, or add vents and or maybe a hood scoop. Looking for someone to steer me in the right direction.
 

·
70/30 Racing
Joined
·
11,372 Posts
just unplug the AC fuse and turn on the AC, that will force the fans to turn on.

above 35mph, you are hurting your cooling ability with them on, plus that extra 60A load on the alternator isnt helping.

but seeing it hover arouns 190* is perfectly normal man, i wouldnt worry. if you want it cooler, get a Nismo 160* thermostat.
 

·
getting close
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
Good call i was just going to say get a nismo thermostat. I ripped may a/c out but road racing for a whole day, my temps stayed pretty consistant. 80+ deg. day at road america, which is just about a 5 mi long road course. I ran 3 30min sessions with no problems. I have a stock radiator, water wetter, z radiator cap, nismo thermostat, and 2 derale s blade 12in fans. I have all the blue bird heat shields, and my downpipe is wrapped also.

Later,Jon
 

·
sleeper
Joined
·
5,445 Posts
I think the stock thermostat, on the 95-97 B14 at least, is 170. Thats where my temp stays during cool weather. The fans kick on at 212 on my car, using the stock temp sensor. Thats apparently 5-7 degrees cooler than the hottest part of the system. I'd like to have a vented hood but I'm keeping the sleeper look and there's no way I'm ditching the A/C! too hot down here :) That and its my daily driver which I take on thousand mile road trips. Not having A/C then would really suck! That and having girls in the car.. they don't like sweating usually. Sitting in traffic, my temps will go up til the fans kick in. I've seen as high as 197 while cruising on the highway. A friend with a C4 vette said he'd usually see 230!
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spdracerUT said:
I think the stock thermostat, on the 95-97 B14 at least, is 170. Thats where my temp stays during cool weather. The fans kick on at 212 on my car, using the stock temp sensor. Thats apparently 5-7 degrees cooler than the hottest part of the system. I'd like to have a vented hood but I'm keeping the sleeper look and there's no way I'm ditching the A/C! too hot down here :) That and its my daily driver which I take on thousand mile road trips. Not having A/C then would really suck! That and having girls in the car.. they don't like sweating usually. Sitting in traffic, my temps will go up til the fans kick in. I've seen as high as 197 while cruising on the highway. A friend with a C4 vette said he'd usually see 230!
That's just it. I don't wanna get rid of the A/C. Summer months here in N.Y. can be brutal. And there is no way in hell my wife is riding in that car with NO A/C. There's gotta be a way to effectively cool the car and still have A/C, without everything becoming heat soaked.
 

·
I <3 MILFS
Joined
·
859 Posts
Man summer months arent bad. I havent had a/c for 2years here in Florida, and i have dark leather interior and crank windows! So you will be able to deal with it man, i know i have, plus you get a **** load of space in your engine bay.
 

·
sleeper
Joined
·
5,445 Posts
why deal when you don't have to :) Plus, when i'm out in texas and it hits 110 degrees... its no fun cruising on the highway for 12 hours straight in hot weather. I haven't seen my coolant temps go past 200 while cruising on the highway. Its when you start to see over a constant 210 that I'd be worried. I figure since the fans come on at 212, anything up to that point is fine.
 

·
I like the boost!
Joined
·
419 Posts
The CSF radiator is a copper brass. I've had those in my turbo cars before. They just arent as efficient as the aluminum. I replaced all mine w/ custom made 2 row aluminum radiators and have had no problems since then. I had a radiator shop in PHX fab them up for me. 3Radiators for $900 not too bad and the all fit perfect.
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
turboAZ2 said:
The CSF radiator is a copper brass. I've had those in my turbo cars before. They just arent as efficient as the aluminum. I replaced all mine w/ custom made 2 row aluminum radiators and have had no problems since then. I had a radiator shop in PHX fab them up for me. 3Radiators for $900 not too bad and the all fit perfect.

You hit the nail on he head. Thats why I want to ditch my CSF. I am N/A on my NX and I am having the same problem. i spoke ot Chipey at the track Sunday and we talked briefly about it. My CSF has a tiny winey leak on the bottom of the endtanks. I think my 300ZXTT cap had too much pressure for the CSF. Basically a stock replacement.

Now where can I get a Koyo or something cheap? Cause I hate this CSF and their BS warranty.
 

·
I like the boost!
Joined
·
419 Posts
Pretty White said:
You hit the nail on he head. Thats why I want to ditch my CSF. I am N/A on my NX and I am having the same problem. i spoke ot Chipey at the track Sunday and we talked briefly about it. My CSF has a tiny winey leak on the bottom of the endtanks. I think my 300ZXTT cap had too much pressure for the CSF. Basically a stock replacement.

Now where can I get a Koyo or something cheap? Cause I hate this CSF and their BS warranty.
Koyo is gonna run you like $375. but they work great.
 

·
sleeper
Joined
·
5,445 Posts
i went with a used gti-r/nismo(or nissan motorsports?) radiator. I think it belonged to hotshtsr20 actually.... anyways, good upgrade for the street and auto-x, short track time. don't think its big enough for serious track use though.
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
turboAZ2 said:
Koyo is gonna run you like $375. but they work great.

I want a Koyo with plastic end tanks. One of my peoples at a radiator shop told me first hand that he sees that problem a lot with CSF's. Not just on my car. He told me that he usually replaces the CSF's with radiators with ppastic end tanks and they last a lot longer. CSF has a life of less than a year on certain cars. I still believe the 16lb cap is not the greatest thing for the life of certain radiators though.
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty White said:
You hit the nail on he head. Thats why I want to ditch my CSF. I am N/A on my NX and I am having the same problem. i spoke ot Chipey at the track Sunday and we talked briefly about it. My CSF has a tiny winey leak on the bottom of the endtanks. I think my 300ZXTT cap had too much pressure for the CSF. Basically a stock replacement.

Now where can I get a Koyo or something cheap? Cause I hate this CSF and their BS warranty.
I hear what you're saying about the CSF. But Rich has it and he hasn't had any problems. However, he ditched his whole A/C system and he has a top mount intercooler, it that's any conselation. But do you think a functional hood scoop or hood vents could aid in keeping the engine compt. cool. I want to try installing a WRX hood scoop right above the rad and exhaust manifold and face it towards the firewall. I think this might be an effective mod. But I'm not sure. What you think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I ditched my A/C just because I didn't have time to fab my intercooler j-pipe like the hotshot one to eleviate this problem. I think my hood really helps keep temps down. I have the Aerogear vented hood on my B14 and it looks sweet and is very functional. (Except for letting water in when it rains.) So I think hood vents work very well especially when they are placed over the turbo like mine are.
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tomcat5678 said:
I ditched my A/C just because I didn't have time to fab my intercooler j-pipe like the hotshot one to eleviate this problem. I think my hood really helps keep temps down. I have the Aerogear vented hood on my B14 and it looks sweet and is very functional. (Except for letting water in when it rains.) So I think hood vents work very well especially when they are placed over the turbo like mine are.
Can you or anyone recommend any hood vents that would look good on a B13 and still be functional and effective?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
If you really wanted you could try to find a GTI-R hood. Otherwise I think there are some companies that make vented hoods for B-13's. Any B-13 guys chime in on this, not sure of what all the options are for the B-13's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
i had overheating probs with a greddy vspl fmic

heated up to 210 on idle, more after

went through everything. nismo thermostat, new fan, radiator cap.

bought a koyo. idled at 160, up to 175 when pushing pedal. when it's hot (like today), it idled at 180 and went to 190 or so when boosting.

found out today 210 is normal for sr. don't worry about it. if it gets to 220-230 then i'd start worrying.

if you're anal like i am get a koyo. you will LOVE it
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top