SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about switching to a front mount intercooler but, I was told I would loose throttle response, is this true and is it a big deal or nothing to worry about? also who makes a front mount kit for my car and how much is it??

·
Registered
302 Posts
no one makes a FMIC for your car

Hotshots was going to make a DET install
kit that came with a FMIC like what
George Roffe Has in his G20

other than that you'll have to do a custom
job.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
my guess is you would lose throttle responce because you have more plumbing. BUT.... you'd gain a lot more power! I think there'd only be a slight loss in response so I wouldn't even worry about it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if no one makes a kit what do I need to get to do this?? what kind of intercoolersize type? , what should I use for the piping, sizes type?

·
Registered
302 Posts
basicly you need to figure out what your true power goals are.

The more you want the bigger you get and the more you pay.

from what I understand you use 2" mandrel piping from
the Turbo to the IC and 2.25" mandrel piping from the IC to
the throttle body.

I have a spearco that im going to be using.

there are alot of options on intercoolers. you need to find
one that fits your budget.

for our cars you usually find a long IC rather than a tall one.

Do some measuring to see what kind of room you have then give
spearco a call they can get you a good IC to fit your needs.

you will have to do some work to get the piping done. order mandrel bends and silicone couplings with band clamps take the piping and figure out the route from turbo to IC then from IC to throttle body. cut the bend and place together to get your shaps.
mark everything very carfully take to a welder and have them welded.

or call Hotshots and ask them to please make you a Piping kit....:)

Maybe Chris @ sr20development can make one for you.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
NX-t said:
thinking about switching to a front mount intercooler but, I was told I would loose throttle response, is this true and is it a big deal or nothing to worry about? also who makes a front mount kit for my car and how much is it??
WTF??you don't have an Intercooler??:D
If you do is it a top mount one? I have a Bluebird Atessa that uses a stock front mount intercooler but very small abit bigger with the stock 180sx item.

All JAP company makes Front mount for SR20det engine like GREDDY, HKS,APEXi,and many others..

Im actually getting one made tonight and should be installed by Saturday including polished piping at 3inch. Its a custom made one to suit my car..so any size and shape they can make as long as it fits the car and also very light compare to others. Will cost me appx $1100USD..

Front mount is good because it picks up cold air down the ground..

Should post pics soon!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a top mount now but dunno if I want to make a custom hood with scoop or just get the fmic

·
Registered
49 Posts
NX-t said:
I have a top mount now but dunno if I want to make a custom hood with scoop or just get the fmic
You can put a WRX scoop..no need to go custom..Just cut the hole and glue the scoop..If you need help getting one let me know. Also I have a GT4 celica scoop...

·
nothing but shenanigans
763 Posts
i also have wrx scoop that i could sell ya for real cheap, that i don't need anymore. if ya want.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what does a gt4 scoop look like, not for sure about getting the scoop just trying to price everything out right now, thanks

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
this is funny.... i cant believe we have come full circle here. the top mount sucks ass. all it really does well is become a heat sink. it gets heatsoaked so quickly its rediclous. even with a scoop its horribly iniffencent. one thing the air that goes though it has no where to go after it passes "through" it. a front mount is soooo much more iffecient. if you are leaving everything stock, boost level included, then you can get away with the top mount, and i stress GET AWAY with it. After just a little driving, not even full balls to the wall drive, get out and feel the pipe going into the TB. I bet you bout burn your hand. Just by front mounting that little IC will gain a lot for cooling. Its worth the money in pipes to do it, we did it by hand on ben's....

of course there will be people claiming they have the top mount (with or without scoops) and running just fine. Then there are just as many that will associate them spinning bearings from all the extra heat that was entering their engine. Personaly i side on the side of caution.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Yeah, what Kevin said. Stay away from the top mount. If you have a chance to do a front mount, do it, don't even think about it. The top mount will get heat soaked very quickly, while the front mount will not only be bigger, but more efficient as well.

When the top mount gets heak soaked, it basically just conducts hot air into the intake manifold, which promotes detonation. If you get a decent front mount, it won't get heat soaked anywhere near as easily, and you get a nice cool (ambient) charge through the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
or you could just rig up a water squirter system so when you run it hard, or the i/c gets hot, spray it on there. we did that on a friends 2.5 RS and the J&S would not act up as much when it was cool. but we did use 1/2 of his washer resivor each time he cooled it though. :)

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
take the top mount, and 100 bucks.. go buy some mandrel bends.. frount mount the damn cooler.
You will have more headroom (colder intake charger less chance of detonation) and it will make you feel better!
If you need some help email me or private message me, more than willing to help!
see ya!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay so fmic how much did you guys spend doing this, price to quality ratio were should I go to get intercooler? how do you run pipes,were do I get the pipes, what is the best size intercooler, if you want to you can email me at [email protected] thanks guys

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Why does everyone bag on the top mount intercooler so much?? If you're planning on running stock boost levels, and have a hood scoop which conducts air to the intercooler you will be fine. Nissan has done it for years with all of their stock SR20DET cars and no one overseas has had problems with it. Do you think Nissan would underengineer anything??

If you plan on upping the boost, yeah, go with a front mount.

Frank
96 200sx SE-R
Spearco front mount

1 - 19 of 19 Posts