SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, I'm a newbie here so sorry if these are stupid questions.

Gettin' a '91 SE-R with 170k on the clock. Engine / body's good and all, car needs some wheel bearings though. I was quoted 540 for just the labor at a Nissan near where I live? Seems very high to me.

How much time does it really take? I found the actual wheel bearings for about 45 each though, think that's fair? Don't think I can do 'em myself since I don't have a press. But pls. let me know what kind of time / tools are required. Also, is this a common problem (car sounds like I'm running on rumble strips, and it's NOT the axles, so I'm pretty sure it's the WBs).

Would it be better / cheaper to get the whole hub / bearing assembly from a junked car nad replace those? I think I can get some from another '91, also made in the US (VIN starts with "1"). Let me know. Thanx.

SeRKid

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
best thing you can do is buy the bearings from a local auto parts store, and just go around to different mechanics, and try to get the cheapest quote, thats what i did, i think they need to be pressed in.

good luck

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
------------------
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
and just go around to different mechanics,

Thats what I did, I got my drivers side done for $200. I think thats a good price....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
$200? i stressing over doing it myself for 200 and thats both sides, wheel bearings and new hub...but doing it yourself is easy...if you know how to change your axles then it should be no prob about 30min for the right side cause you can cheat but the left side you have to pop out the ball joint first while the right side the axle can come out first.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i hate to bring this thread back from the dead but where exactly did you guys buy the bearings.. online.... and at local auto parts store like napa or pep boys... or at a nissan dealer

·
Registered
698 Posts
when my right wheel bearing went out i replaced it with one from pep boys. it was about 30 bucks and the seals were like 20. but im glad i had my receipt because just before the warranty went out on it it gave out again due to the hub being bad in the first place. went to the dealer to get my hub. i think i paid 70 dollars for the hub w/discount. all has been good since..

·
-
3,560 Posts
If I had to do it again, I'd try to find good hubs at a junkyard cheap. I've heard a lot of stories regarding replacement bearings wearing quickly from being pressed in incorrectly or from the old hub being worn from running on a bad bearing.

After only about 10k, I have suspicions that mine are wearing fast.

·
Registered
698 Posts
a tale tale sign that the hub was bad should have hit me in the face the first time i replaced a wheel bearing was that when the guy pressed the hub back in it would fall right out...

i learned the hard way.

·
Dreamin' of VVL
791 Posts
After seaching on here about replacements, I bit the bullet and bought new hubs, bearings, and seals from the Nissan dealer to avoid any issues. They are proud of those hubs, but IMO it is worth it for peace of mind that they will last at least as long as the originals.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I bought the bearings for 22 with a Napa discount and I just found a guy who would press in the bearing for 25-30 dollars. I will do this if the bearings are bad from my parts car.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
This is what it cost me per side

$45.00 for bearing and inner and outter seals and $30 labor to press it in.

Total would be roughly $75.00 per wheel but if your hub is toast you can add another $85 - 125 for a new hub from Nissan depending on discount u get, or go to pick a part and a get yourself a good used hub for ~$25.00

·
SR20DET Slave
892 Posts
I changed my driver side bearing 2 weeks ago after noticing an increasingly louder grinding/moaning sound from the front end...Bearing came out in about 10 pieces...Had to get a hub from the junkyard(payed $50 for the whole axle assembly...C.V. shaft and all)...Went to Partsamerica.com(Advanced Auto's website...not a bad site) and Advanced had the bearing in stock for $33...Seals were $8 a piece and a local parts place pressed it in for $15...Cost about $115 plus i got an extra c.v. shaft, caliper , rotor etc...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts