SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, I was not sure but what is the fuel capacity on a classic? The reason I ask is because my fuel gauge is off some and from me using my 99se before I got this one I know how much I can drive. I just want to be sure that when it says empty that it's really not empty.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I think capacity is somewhere around 13 gallons. When my light comes on, the most I've been able to put in is 10.5.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
202 Posts
The tank holds 13.2 gallons- my personal record is 12.8 gallons in one refill.

[This message has been edited by lance (edited 06-12-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
The one complaint I have about my Classic is that the tank is small. It's only a hair over 10 gallons.

G

·
0 Posts
When I first bought my car I ran out of gas and was only able to put a little over 10 in it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by josh moat:
When I first bought my car I ran out of gas and was only able to put a little over 10 in it.</font>
That is the thing I'm afraid of, is running out of gas. I would wait till the light goes on but I'm not sure if the light works. I thought to myself in order to see if the light works is to turn the ignition switch till all the indicators come on and that's how I'll know. I tried it and that low gas indicator did not come on. Do all of your indicators come on when you guys do that?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The gas indicator does not come on when you turn the ignition. I usually find I have 2-3 gallons left when the light comes on- I almost always wait until it does before I refill the tank.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The tank is around 13 gallons. That's what the specs say at least. Usually I will take the guage down to around an eigth of a tank and it'll take around 8 gallons. The few times I've had the warning light come on, it'll only took around 11 gallons to fill. And that was with the light on for about 10 miles. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

G

·
0 Posts
Funny topic.

My classic holds 10gallons and goes 300miles.

When it gets below 1/4 tank the engine cuts out in hard cornering. Quirk i guess. Full tank its fine. It did the have fuel pump replaced.

Never saw a gas light and damn near ran it out of gas so I would know.

Andrew

·
Registered
202 Posts
As of this morning the light was just starting to flicker with 325 miles on the current tank- I'll fill it on the way home.

Andy- Look me up if you're ever in Bar Harbor.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lance:
The gas indicator does not come on when you turn the ignition. I usually find I have 2-3 gallons left when the light comes on- I almost always wait until it does before I refill the tank.</font>
Ok cool. I notice that for some of you guys the light does work and for some of you it doesn't. Well I know more or less when the car should need gas due to the routine driving I did with my other car so I will wait till friday morning to gas it up(one week of driving). With the other car when it's time to gas up on friday I usually have about a quarter tank so that is what I'm going to wait because the classic should be about the same even though the gauge doesn't agree. Wish me luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Andy, my car is indentical to yours. The way I drive I do not quite get 27 MPG.

------------------
No, it's not just a Sentra. If you get scared, sit on your hands and close your eyes.

G

·
0 Posts
Josh does you engine starve from gas in corners below 1/4 tank or is it just me? I get 30-31mpg mostly highway though. The way I drive is harder than I'd often admit especially to people at work. When I get close to work I slow down so I don't piss anyone off.

Sup Baa Harbaa! There is another guy in Raymond from ME. Us 3 should do something cause I was convinced I was only one in state with a SE-R let alone posting here. haaha.

·
Registered
723 Posts
the classic's capacity as listed in the manual is 13.25gal

i usually fill it up with ~10, on the last tank i got 297miles / 10.5gallons..

that works out to a DISMAL ~25.8 mpg considering i drive fairly light and mostly on the freeway where i cruise at 70.

its always just me--super welterweight driver--and a little subwoofer box in the rear.

guess i need a tuneup and some new plugs

·
Registered
202 Posts
I put 11.4 gallons in last night and went 348 miles (30.52 mpg) in mixed driving. The light was on for the entire ride home from work (15 miles).

Andy- I'll show you the Cadillac Mountain Grand Prix next time you're on the island. My buddy has an identical car to mine (black '94) and lives in Portland. I very rarely see others, though. I go through Brunswick all the time on the way to Falmouth (my hometown).

G

·
0 Posts
Cadillac Mountain Grand Prix? I've been there, done that. The whole island is a pretty sweet drive. I'm originally from Portland and spent many summer/fall and occasionally winter days on MDI. We should totally get a bunch of us together.
As far as a 13 and whatever gallon tank, that's a load of ****. I've never put more than 10.6 in my car.

------------------
No, it's not just a Sentra. If you get scared, sit on your hands and close your eyes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I usually do the CMGP late at night when nobody's on the road- like rangers and people riding bicycles. I was nailed doing 68 last summer on the Park Loop Road- the ranger wasn't too pleased but he let me off after a thorough talking to.

Josh- it's a fact. 13.2 gallons. I put 11.8 in mine two days ago and I've put up to 12.8 before and have gone over 400 miles on a tank many times (highway driving).

G

·
0 Posts
Lance what do you have a barrel attached to your tank. Perhaps your year Nissan put big tank on your car. Mine doesn't hold more than 10. Strange.

Thank dragway link doesn't work. Anyone going on the 20th?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The SE-R has always had a 13.2 gallon tank, from '91 through today- not sure about the 2002 model. Your gas gauge might be off, I guess.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lance:
I usually do the CMGP late at night when nobody's on the road- like rangers and people riding bicycles. I was nailed doing 68 last summer on the Park Loop Road- the ranger wasn't too pleased but he let me off after a thorough talking to.

Josh- it's a fact. 13.2 gallons. I put 11.8 in mine two days ago and I've put up to 12.8 before and have gone over 400 miles on a tank many times (highway driving).
</font>
That makes me feel better but here is the update, I have one more drive home before it's time to fill up tomorrow morning. So far I have drove 282 miles and the fuel gauge shows empty, even a tiny bit pass empty but I'm going to stick it out. I have about a 35 mile drive to get home but it's all highway. I told my cousin to have his cell phone on just in case but I know I should be ok. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if I made it and how much gas it took.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts