SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, back in '92 or '93 Nissan had a TSB that stated using fuel injector cleaner on the SR20's would destroy the seals in the fuel injectors.

Has Nissan fixed this and changed the material used for the injector seals since then and can we use fuel injector cleaners (The kind you poor into the gas tank) in our cars? Specifically a '96 G20.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

[This message has been edited by NismoPC (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
513 Posts
It wasn't a problem. The reason that it would destroy the injectors is because they are designed to be self cleaning. They do not need injector cleaner and were therefore not designed to handle certain chemicals that are in the cleaner.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've used a bottle of STP Fuel Injector Cleaner with every oil change for 180,000 without any problems whatsoever. In fact, the last time I had the emmissions tested, at 145,000 when I lived in New York, the guy said it was one of the cleanest engines (emmisions-wise) he'd ever seen.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
The injectors that nissan uses are what are called "plate" injectors not the "pintel" type that everyone else use. They have a larger opening and sealing serface so they dont usualy clog that often. But i think they have seals for those plates where the pintles dont have a seal just rely on tight fits and chemicals can deteroiate those seals. I have never used cleaner and strong advise other nissan drivers dont either. If people think its necessary let them, cause on plate style the do little to nothing.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That brings up another point. Not that I need to or want to use Fuel/Octane Boosters, but would they have the same chemicals in them that cleaners have? Are they harmful to the PLATE injectors as well?

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts