SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I lika da turns
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched both "fuel pump", "sending unit", and looked in my FSM but can't some to a conclusion whether or not these are the same. I have horrible gas mileage and from reading I think my sending unit has to be replaced. I have seen fuel pumps for sale but no sending units and there's no mention of a "sending unit" in my FSM. What's the deal here?

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
It's not likely that the fuel pump is the source of bad gas mileage. If the pump where bad, you wouldn't be moving at all! I'm not sure what you're refering to as the sending unit, the only one I can think of is the oil pressure sending unit which is unrelated to gas mileage.

Bad gas mileage is usually a sign of a bad O2 sensor, or the MAF might need regrounding, TPS is out of wack, and some valves cleaned out. You can try searching more on this forum under bad gas mileage and also check www.se-r.net

·
I lika da turns
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found mention of the sending unit on se-r.net:
Sending Unit (w/ Low Fuel Light) 25060-57Y02 25060-57Y11 $82.81

And here's how they talk about fixing it:
Service procedure:
Remote Sending Unit, located in the fuel tank [Reference: FSM pages, FE03-FE04]
Replace with countermeasure sending unit listed below.
The Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Seal (O-ring) should be replaced prior to reinstalling the Sending Unit

Granted those prices are old but the part number should be the same. On those pages in my FSM, if I can remember correctly, it shows the fuel pump. What the heck is this sending unit?

I have replaced the 02 and grounded the MAF. On another note, is grounding the MAF to the battery okay?
Thanks.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Sending unit for the fuel gauge, which is not going to affect gas mileage either. I grounded my MAF to the battery negative terminal as well, you don't get a better ground than that.

·
I lika da turns
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might have an inaccurate fuel gauge because I get the first 3 of these symptoms listed on se-r.net:
Symptoms:
1. Fuel gauge will not read FULL after filling the tank.
2. Fuel gauge reads EMPTY, but could only add 8-9 gallons of fuel to tank.
3. Fuel gauge drops off FULL too fast; reads 3/4 after driving only 25-40 miles
4. Low fuel light does not illuminate, even when the gauge reads EMPTY

I haven't run it low enough to see if the low fuel light comes on but I definitely have all the first 3 sypmtoms. I guess I need to replace this "sending unit" but I just need to know exactly where it is in the fuel tank. Is it maybe on top of the fuel pump or something? There's only one picture in the FSM of what hangs in the fuel tank so that's why I think it is on here somewhere. No one has ever done this before?

Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the sender is the (sorry for the kiddish description) floppy thing that floats around the tank when you pull out the fuel pump, it is all one big assembly when you pull it out, what there is is a circutboard on the sender (you see the top of it when you pull the back seat) and the actual gauge (floppy thing) moves up and down with the fuel level, and gives a reading because it is in contact with the circut board, hope that clarifies a little bit :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts