SR20 Forum banner

G16 and SR20 !???

606 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  enjoyDride 
G
#1 ·
ok I will start up my topic again so you can answer me now please !!!

I am a 18 year old guy from Montreal Canada. And I want a 200 sx ! not particulary a SER ! because I know the performance is better but that's not what I am searching at all cost because I also want a car that won't cost me a lot in assurance !

So do you think that the G16 is a good car too ??? and what's the difference between a 200 sx and a 200 sx SE ? is there a difference ???

Or do you have any other suggestions for cars ?? Because I want a car that look good, not a hatchback, if possible a 2 door and have some performance but not too much because the assurance will cost me a lot at the beginning so I can't afford a too much performance or for gas. And I want something that is not a civic and the performance that could beat a civic ! is that ok ?

------------------
NISSAN POWER ! Yeah ! hum

http:\\4watever.cjb.net

See less See more
#2 ·
You really need to talk with your insurance company and find out what the difference in insurance costs are between a 200SX SE-R and a 200SX SE. We can't answer that for you.

Sense your looking at buying a used car (200SX) and performance isn't your major concern... I'd say either car would be fine as long as it's in good condition. Have it inspected by your local Nissan dealership (if possible) before you buy it. Never buy a car unless it's been inspected by a qualified shop.

That's my advice... hope it helps.

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

[This message has been edited by Yosho (edited 08-27-2001).]

#3 ·
Well I owned a 200 SX SE (auto) and I traded it for a SE-R 5 speed. Two years newer and my insurance only increased about $80 per year, so if insurance is one of your main conserns I would not worry that much. You could even go to your insurance company and find out what the differce actually is, if you have not done so already.

On to your second question. I believe the difference between a 200 SX base and an SE model is that I believe the SE model comes with fog light and other things as well. (I think actual alloy wheels and not hubcaps is another difference)

As far as you question about beating a Civic I believe a 200 SX SE is pretty much even with it.

A SE-R will use more gas (or so I have noticed or possiblely I run my SE-R too hard)
Anyway I hope this helps in you decision making.

------------------
Dan

#4 ·
The GA16DE's aren't all bad...

They're pretty competitive with Civic EX's, I would say. Sport Compact Car has a project 200SX 1.6 that you could look into. If performance isn't an issue at all, you might consider it. But don't be like me. Performance wasn't an issue to me before...but now it's starting to be, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now.

------------------
Slow 1.6
http://members.tripod.com/yankitman

#5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Watever:
Yeah, but the other problem is that here in Montréal Region, the SER are rare ! and I only saw two ! one is manuel, don't know the millage but it's purple (beurk) and the other one is blue green (turquoise in french) and it's an automatic and it's far from where I am ! about 135 km ! that's far to go check for a car.

If you would have no choice in a 200 sx ! or for the price, should I buy at all cost a manuel ??? like if there is like 1 000 ou 1500 $ of difference ?
</font>
Yea, SE-R's are kinda rare. Anyone know the ratio of Sentra/200SX's that were 2.0 vs 1.6? I remember seeing the number before and was kinda amazed how much fewer 2.0's were made.

------------------
Slow 1.6
http://members.tripod.com/yankitman

G
#6 ·
Yeah, but the other problem is that here in Montréal Region, the SER are rare ! and I only saw two ! one is manuel, don't know the millage but it's purple (beurk) and the other one is blue green (turquoise in french) and it's an automatic and it's far from where I am ! about 135 km ! that's far to go check for a car.

If you would have no choice in a 200 sx ! or for the price, should I buy at all cost a manuel ??? like if there is like 1 000 ou 1500 $ of difference ?

#8 ·
Actually I get about 30 mpg on my SE-R also and so does my fieance (future wife, I can't spell) in her 2001 SE. But it does certainly seem I am seeing the little orange idiot gas light more often than I did in my old auto GA16DE. Oh well I love the SE-R.

#9 ·
What do you plan to do with this car? Daily driver? Do you want something to modify? Is there any competition (autocross, time trial, drag racing) in your future? Either car will be just fine for a daily driver. The limited slip of the 95-97 SE-R will be valuable in the snow. Both cars have a decent aftermarket following, so both should be modification friendly. If you plan on any motorsports activities, you must get the SE-R. You'll spend thousands on the 1.6L just to get it to where the SE-R performance begins.

Hope this helps some.

Matt

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

G
#10 ·
Thanx ! I want it for dayly driving ! But I also want to modify the design of it ! There is no race or any big event going on ! But I would probably want to put like some little mini modifications on it but that's it's !

I want a car to dayly drive that will look nice that's its !

The normal 200 sx should be fine !??

------------------
What ever happens in life, life will go on !
-------------------------

#11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tkyan:
Yea, SE-R's are kinda rare. Anyone know the ratio of Sentra/200SX's that were 2.0 vs 1.6? I remember seeing the number before and was kinda amazed how much fewer 2.0's were made.</font>

I read somewhere in SCC that out of all the 200SX's sold in America only %6 were SE-R's.

#12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The normal 200 sx should be fine !??</font>
Most likely, yes it would be just fine for you. Unless you plan to drive it in the snow where you live. If you do, I highly recommend you get the SE-R because it has a limited slip differential. I've only driven in the snow once with mine, but I was unstoppable.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

G
#13 ·
Yes, It's sure that I want to drive in the winter ! why that question ???

you mean that the normal 200 sx is not fine ??? the ser is better in the snow ?? why ?

------------------
What ever happens in life, life will go on !
-------------------------

#14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Watever:
Yes, It's sure that I want to drive in the winter ! why that question ???

you mean that the normal 200 sx is not fine ??? the ser is better in the snow ?? why ?

</font>
the ser is better because of the limited slip differential on those years for the snow..since ur in canada. i would say in my opinion if u want a daily driver that will beat civics, get an ser. the se or normal ones will leave u dead even with a stock civic ex until ur governer kicks in. and if ur just gonna modify it a little then u could spend more money on making it look sick as opposed to tryin to keep up, because stock ur ser will be kickin'..thats what i would do if i were in that situation..the engine is stronger gets more respect and can take mods better. and the insurance thing, im not sure about ur company but the engine isnt that much bigger so i would guess that what u would be paying for is the fact that u have a 2 door sports car..as opposed to a passenger..if u get an ser u wont regret it, unless u get a lemon. and im not sayin u will if u get an se but u wont be able to hang when one of those civic si's roll up next to u !!!

------------------
fu@k vtech

#15 ·
if u are concerned about snow, u r gonna have a hell of a problem finding an SER
i live canada as well and i have never seen a 96 or a 97 SER. maybe they were never sold here in those years but i've never seen one, that leaves only 95 and 98 and correct me if im wrong but the 98's don't have VLSD right?
i searched the montreal area, and there is rare (for canada atleast) a 99 sentra SE in black and 5spd at a nissan dealer, might wanna consider that.

#16 ·
Hey the 1.6 is not that bad of a motor, if you want it for daily driving it is a great car just put a little Nitrous with some basic bolt ons and that should be fine..But if you want something that pulls really hard go for the SR20.

Alfie "been there done that"

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
sleepr w/N20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.