SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to be swaping in a few weeks and was wondering what all I might need or should be perpared for. I am getting it out of a GTi-R and a tranny out of a G20 infinity,already have a act clutch kit,the engine is coming with a stock radiator, mounts, a/c,alt., ecu,everything pretty much please list anything else I might need or need to know,and its going in a 91 nx 1600.

My E-mail is [email protected] if you leave a number I could call an speak with you about it. thanx

------------------
Jason

[This message has been edited by NX-t (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
How are you gonna us a AWD tranni on a FWD car? Plus the bluebird tranni doesn't bolt up to the GTi-R ( I know this one buddy). If your gonna swap a sr20 into a non sr20 car you'll need the entire sr20 tranni. You'll also need the engine mounts from the sr20. If your going turbo I think you should get a bigger radiator.
I think u should do some more reseach before you start to do anything. Cause if you rush into it, your gonna be F*%^ed!

------------------

paradiseracing.homestead.com/home.html

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done some research but have never done the swap, the I did not know that the tranny out of a b.b. would work I was told that they were front wheel drive, the engine is coming with a nismo radiator, mounts, a/c,alt., ecu,everything pretty much. what trannys can I use for this swap, and any other info.

My E-mail is [email protected] if you leave a number I could call an speak with you about it. thanx

------------------
Jason

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...and a tranny out of a G20 infinity...</font>
That tranny will work fine I think but it's not likely to have an LSD in it.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
441 Posts
If the tranny is from a P10, it should come with VLSD. The gears are slightly taller but not somethin to worry about.

NX-t: Let us know how the swap is coming along (once you get it started).

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Actually, I don't think the G20 tranny will work for you since the hubs from the two cars are different. The hubs between GA and SR powered NISSAN cars are the same, but not the INFINITY ones. Just look for a tranny out of a SR powered Nissan and use that (unless you want to have custom axles made).

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to the guy i'm getting the tranny from and he said he could get a p10 tranny but it doesn't have a vlsd, and he said he would sent axles from a sr20 I was also told to take my radiator and custom make it a three core and get an oil cooler, is this wise, and is it better to put the intercooler in front or just leave it on top and cut a hole in my hood, gauges i plan on getting are boost, air/fuel, and oil temp, any others i might need?? engine due to arrive at my door mid june.
Thanx,
If you have anymore input please give.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
No no no, both trannies are SR20 trannies. Just that the axles between the G and the rest of the SR powered cars are different. So, unless you're planning on having custom made axles (can get expensive) just find yourself a B13/B14 (excluding 98/99) tranny and use that. You will NOT be able to use the G20 tranny without making custom axles. Trust me

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

G

·
0 Posts
I have a GTI-R motor in a 92 SER. I'm using my SER tranny. All you have to do is drill the SER flywheel bolt holes to fit onto the GTI-R motor because the GTI-R has bigger bolts, that's the only thing that stops the SER tranny from bolting on to the GTI-R motor. The G20 is not limited slip so it has longer axles because the tail housing on the tranny is smaller. If you can get the tranny, axles, and spindles from a SER or NX2000 your problems will be almost over. I say almost because the tranny is the weakest part of the set up. My tranny is the only thing that ever went on my car. Make sure you get the GTI-R power steering pump because the SER pump won't work and it shares the same belt as the water pump. Also get an SER harness and the GTI-R ECU and AFM to complete the package. This will set you straight, trust me my car is running good. 12.5 in the 1/4 on pump gas and stock GTI-R motor, 100% stock with the boost turned up to 15. Any more questions you can e-mail me.

------------------

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told that sevral people have ran into a heating problem, most cut holes in the bumper cover, but I plan on keeping the top mount intercooler and having a freind do some fiberglass work on my hood, I think this might cut down on the cooling problem, 1)no intercooler in front of the radiator and 2)I will have the hood vented, wether it is buy a scoop, or what not.

------------------
Jason

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
you will only have heating problems if you are doing really hard runs like a track event or a long autoX in 85+ degree temp. other than that you will be ok. The G20 has a longer 1st gear if I remember correctly.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
361 Posts
You will not need spindles of any sort to put a SE-R tranny in a car that came with a GA. I know this from personal experience, you only need to change one motor mount the right front. I would recomend buying an SR powered car, and putting the DET in that. Plus why would you want to use a G20 tranny w/o LSD on a 200+HP car? You do want to be able to take off quickly dont you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts