SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
~DIM
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know you guys hate me alot but i loves you alls.... and i was just wondering if ne one had bored a ga16 to a 1.8 or 2.0 or if anyone had any ideas on that at all. like powergains and handle on boost and such. sorry for the non-sr question but id love some input.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
JGY offers kits to swap a 2l SR into a 1.6lGA car

·
-John-
690 Posts
For the money you'd spend, just go SR and bore it to 2.4 because I'd love to know the power gains from that stroker kit, I haven't known anyone to use it yet.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
^^^

I'm with my ricer-buddy (j/k dude!). It's better to take the money that you'll spend on boring out the GA and spending it on an SR swap and buildup. I'm not saying that the GA16DE is a bad motor, its just that the SR20 has more aftermarket support right now than the GA16 motor. You'd be better off and MUCH happier with an SR20 motor.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Nissan already makes a two-liter engine that's already been sold in that chassis -- the SR20. Every internal part of an oversized GA16 will be custom and EXPENSIVE.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
i don't think anyone is underestimating the ga16, it IS an excellent motor, but for the same price,if not cheaper, you could have a gnarly sr20.
slartibartfast nailed it when he said CUSTOM and EXPENSIVE.
good luck though, we need some pioneers for the ga16de.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
GA who? :)

The best mod by far for the GA is the header. IMO.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There's not enough to the GA block to bore it out much without the walls getting super thin and melty - so says Bob Legere of Mather Motorsports. He bored out a GA16 to somewhere between 1.7 and 1.8 with custom pistons from Venolia (IIRC). The biggest gains came from headwork though, apparently. On a flowbench, the GA16 has a 60% exhaust-to-intake flow ratio, which should be closer to 80% - i.e.: the exhuast side of a GA16 head is super-restrictive. That's why the header has such a good impact I guess. Legere also had everything internal swain coated, etc. Totally delux buildup. Apparently it screamed through rally stages like the angry souls of vengeful Norse warriors.

Anyway, as a GA16 person I concur with the comments here. Better to swap to SR20 than doing a crazy amount of custom work on a GA, unless of course you work at a garage/machine shop. Turbo the GA instead.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Isn't Legere the same guy who rallies a 1.6L sentra? I think it's either him or a customer of his.

·
~DIM
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thnx fellas i was just curious... i do plan to turbo it after i found out the stock psi it can run MMMM thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
370 Posts
so thats a ga20de well il be damed were is this engine found? i.e. country wise?

·
Registered
370 Posts
hey finally someone from the uk lol any info on this beast

1 - 20 of 35 Posts