SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd since my tuneup (cap,rotor,wires,plugs,fuel filter, transmisson fluid, new PCV valve, cleaned TB, new air filter, and changed oil and filter. Oh yeah also got a brand spanking new 02 sensor.) I also removed the negative cable off the batter to let the ECU reset. The only thing is I've only been getting around 270 a tank. (used to get a little more than 300 before the tuneup ) One thing I did notice though is that the fuel gauge is at about half way mark at about 200 miles...from there it just drops...any ideas?

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
Wierd since my tuneup (cap,rotor,wires,plugs,fuel filter, transmisson fluid, new PCV valve, cleaned TB, new air filter, and changed oil and filter. Oh yeah also got a brand spanking new 02 sensor.) I also removed the negative cable off the batter to let the ECU reset. The only thing is I've only been getting around 270 a tank. (used to get a little more than 300 before the tuneup ) One thing I did notice though is that the fuel gauge is at about half way mark at about 200 miles...from there it just drops...any ideas?

</font>

Could be your brand of gasoline. I love Shell gasoline but that **** burns out so fast. I hate Mobil or Citgo but it burns oh so slow. I use Amoco gas. Around town it is not so good on gas but the other day i drove about 125 miles on a full tank before it toutched the 1/4 tank mark. But that was Highway Driving. I went from Brooklyn to Baltimore on a little more than 1/2 (gauge reading) tank. I don't get all anal with topping it off and dividing mileage by amount neeeded to re-top off anymore. I got mods so I just say **** it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Geez, i consider myslef lucky if i get 270 miles to a tank. My car is a gas-hog...course it could have somehting to do with my heavy feet


------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Irwin
Maybe your Plug gap is off. Are you running Platinums or standard plugs? Did you change your plug heat rang at all? Using NGKs? Stay away from Shytefires (splitfires) they are way to hot and burn out quick. I'll have to tell you, there was a sevice bulliten, not a recall, on the fuel level sending unit. When it gets old it gives real bad readings. I have the same problem. I'm to cheap right now to fix it. The ching $$ has to go into mods.
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Soopastank,

Bro you should've read my article on the Bosch plugs. I had those things in my ride and.........what a minute......I'll go get the article.........here it is........

04-18-01
Well, here I was writing all kinds of posts talking about my crazy idle. I had installed what I thought were great Bosch plugs. (Hey they worked on my Crxs). My car had been idling funny like up and down at lights and stuff and shutting off when I would start it cold.
I tried everything to cure this. I yanked out all emissions, (egr and bpt), did a hellified tune-up and nothing seemed to help. With the egr gone however I saw a big difference. But still idling funny. So while running credit checks at my job at Verizon, I thought, F**k it. I'm buying Ngk plats and see if that helps. So 55 bucks later and after my Big Chicken sandwich was devoured, I put my NGK platinum "R"s on. And fellas, AINT THIS A BITCH, THE G-DAMN SH*T IS RUNNING LIKE A DREAM!!!!! OH MY GOD! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The engine was so smooth that I kept looking at my tach to make sure it was on. My pedal had no vibration like before. And then came the good part. When I finally floored it, that tach needle just ate up them RPMs like I porn queen deep throating some.....oh nevermind. BUT HEY, I AM SO HAPPY!! IM SORRY I EVER DOUBTED ANYBODY!!!!
MY SE-R IS KICKIN ASS NOW MOTHERF*CKERS!!!!
YYYYEEEEAAHHHH!!!!!!

..........try some NGK's out and see if that helps.......



------------------
"Spidey"
3x ex-Honda owner
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Im getting 270 as well.
Used to get 230 per tank.
Now its 270

These cars are weird....oh well........

------------------
"Spidey"
3x ex-Honda owner
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cossie:
Irwin
Maybe your Plug gap is off. Are you running Platinums or standard plugs? Did you change your plug heat rang at all? Using NGKs? Stay away from Shytefires (splitfires) they are way to hot and burn out quick. I'll have to tell you, there was a sevice bulliten, not a recall, on the fuel level sending unit. When it gets old it gives real bad readings. I have the same problem. I'm to cheap right now to fix it. The ching $$ has to go into mods.
</font>
Speaking of which I changed both my float and pump in one year. Last year to be exact. If you guys are driving around town with a modded car do not expect Honda Civic HF mileage. On the highway at cruising is the real determining factor of what your gas mileage should be. Remember the mileage posted on the sticker when it was new is a EPA estimate. Based on 1 car, not every car.
 

·
Turd Furgeson
Joined
·
3,935 Posts
Yeah I got like 25-27 mpg when stock. Ive only got the greddy ehxaust, popcharger, and timing @17btdc. I might actually be getting slightly more now because there's less pumping losses. I've the '91 cam and pulleys to install soon. Maybe ill lose some of those with the newer, less "green" cam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
Soopastank,

Bro you should've read my article on the Bosch plugs. I had those things in my ride and.........what a minute......I'll go get the article.........here it is........

04-18-01
Well, here I was writing all kinds of posts talking about my crazy idle. I had installed what I thought were great Bosch plugs. (Hey they worked on my Crxs). My car had been idling funny like up and down at lights and stuff and shutting off when I would start it cold.
I tried everything to cure this. I yanked out all emissions, (egr and bpt), did a hellified tune-up and nothing seemed to help. With the egr gone however I saw a big difference. But still idling funny. So while running credit checks at my job at Verizon, I thought, F**k it. I'm buying Ngk plats and see if that helps. So 55 bucks later and after my Big Chicken sandwich was devoured, I put my NGK platinum "R"s on. And fellas, AINT THIS A BITCH, THE G-DAMN SH*T IS RUNNING LIKE A DREAM!!!!! OH MY GOD! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The engine was so smooth that I kept looking at my tach to make sure it was on. My pedal had no vibration like before. And then came the good part. When I finally floored it, that tach needle just ate up them RPMs like I porn queen deep throating some.....oh nevermind. BUT HEY, I AM SO HAPPY!! IM SORRY I EVER DOUBTED ANYBODY!!!!
MY SE-R IS KICKIN ASS NOW MOTHERF*CKERS!!!!
YYYYEEEEAAHHHH!!!!!!

..........try some NGK's out and see if that helps.......



</font>
I have similar problem now with my car .. it starts great and then after 15 minutes at a light the idle will drop or worst the car will cut off .... I have no idea what kind of spark plugs I have... I had the throttle body cleaned and the car runs nice and smooth hile it running but still idles ierd or cuts off .... also I read about the egr circulation problem before on SE-R.Net .. can you tell me how to fix this as an amatuer mechanic .... Can i buy ngk at pep boys ??? help
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I got the NGK's from the Nissan dealer.
Im very impatient when it comes to doing things. I could have gotten them from carparts.com for cheaper but the dealer was right down the street and I had the $55.
the easiest way to see if it's the egr is to find that hose between the two saucers ( EGR and BPT ), pull it off of the BPT side and plug it up with a plug. or anything that will fit and not trapped in. Then take your baby out for a spin. It worked great for me!!
And then I just yanked the EGR and BPT out and plugged up all the hoses so the engine looks cleaner. So far so good. I get 270 miles per tank and plenty of ZOOM ZOOM.


------------------
"Spidey"
3x ex-Honda owner
 

·
Turd Furgeson
Joined
·
3,935 Posts
When you guys/girls remove the EGR, and whatever. Does it blow error codes? What about inspections? Sorry to sound like such a ... i'll keep the explitives to a minimum.
 

·
Recovering Rice Boy
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys yeah Im going to check to see if my gapping my be wrong..Im running regular Bosch Platniums...so I'll check them again...maybe I should've spent the couple extra bucks for the NGK's...damn

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
EGR? I once heard of that in a dream.... bad one. Since day one my car just passed the sniffer by a hair. I did some special EGR relocation..... =) and it no longer interfears with the car in any way what so ever. Now my car passes with no problem at all. I know that my NX is OBD1 though and some of you blokes have the touchy ODB2 with code that, and error this. I don't know whether you would get code errors on OBD2? Try taking the vacume hose that opens the EGR valve off for a sec and see what happens.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top