SR20 Forum banner

Gas mileages after turbo

763 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  civicdragon
My setup:

BB T25 on DE. custom piping, 370cc injectors, stock fuel pump, all stock everything.

Do you get better mileage after turbo? I can get ~300 per tank city/hwy when I was NA. Now turboed, I can get 300+.

I doubt I'm running lean since my EGT is pretty normal and I get my occasional backfire due to my open vented BOV.

I thought I'd lose gas mileages. Anyone having similar results after turbo?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Spaceman Spiff said:
My setup:

Do you get better mileage after turbo?

Yep, amazing isn´t it.
what ecu are you running?
better gas mileage? i dont think i could go 300 miles without leadfooting it!
SE-R-2-Go said:
what ecu are you running?

JWT ECU.

I do redline my car going on ramp and passing other cars. i'd say the car sees redline at least once per drive.

My friends with turbo are getting crappy mileages (~200 miles a tank).
The last big highway trip I took, I got ~28 mpg on the way to Texas, and ~32 on the way back to Florida. I was hauling ass too on the way back. I was thinking maybe I had a tail wind or something. My second theory is that, when going that fast, you produce enough exhaust energy to get the turbo spinning enough that it's producing a little higher pressure than compared to if the turbo weren't there; therefore helping out the volumetric eff (more so than the extra wind drag). That's just a guess though. I think I was seeing about 3lbs (~6-7 in.) of vacuum at higher highway cruising speeds.

Actually, when I was NA and up in Michigan, I'd get 34-35 mpg.... I think our cars just like cruising at ~85 mph :)
300 is alot.. i get about 230 a tank with a jwt ecu
I always got really bad gas mileage with my t25 and JWT ecu(never above 300 miles out of a tank). I was running very rich though, with the stock FPR and walbro pump.
In the city, i'll get 23-25 and I boost as soon as the motor is warmed up. Hit redline a few times a trip. t25, JWT ecu.
I get about 270-300 per tank mostly 45mph and above so not a lot of city driving except for the occasional traffic jam on the highway. I have the setup in my sig. Once I tune the e-manage I hope to be getting 300+ again like I was N/A.
Crap for mileage

You guys make me sick... I need to figure out what is wrong with my setup. I have been averaging about 10-13 mpg.

Gabe "need a bigger fuel tank" Pari
i get about 10 in town and maybe 20 on highway, does the jwt ecu for a stock bb setup improve mpg since its leaning out the maps?
I'm averaging about 24-26mpg, or 270ish miles to a little less than 11 gallons, give or take.
SR-SONIC said:
i get about 10 in town and maybe 20 on highway, does the jwt ecu for a stock bb setup improve mpg since its leaning out the maps?
the jwt ecu runs rich not lean.
so your telling me that since ive got a u12 bb-det in my car with a u12 bb-det ecu it will run leaner then switching the ecu to a jwt ecu? and leaner usually gets better mpg under normal driving conditions?
When my car was NA with JWT S2 cams and ECU, PR CAI with POP charger, HotShot Gen2 header, and GReddy cat-back, I was getting about 25-27 mpg highway (250+ miles per tank). After I went turbo with the same setup (except for cam gears set for 10 degrees less overlap), the highway mileage is 30+ mpg. I routinely get over 300 miles per tank now.

Lew
When my car was NA I got 423 to a full tank when I drove it back from wisconsin. Around town/a little highway I was getting 350. First day I was turboed, 85 to a full tank. After the first week and tuning I got 320 to a full tank. Then the T3 was put in and average was around 300mpg driving normal. It is a weird jump. I went from 370's with the first turbo, to 50lb injectors with the T3, and then I went to 72's. the 72's are so sloppy that it took a lot of time to figure out what gas mileage I was getting. Pain in the [email protected]$!
SR-SONIC said:
so your telling me that since ive got a u12 bb-det in my car with a u12 bb-det ecu it will run leaner then switching the ecu to a jwt ecu? and leaner usually gets better mpg under normal driving conditions?
nope i'm saying the jwt ecu runs a little rich. i didn't know you were comparing it to a bb ecu.
i was getting 17-20 mpg with my 4bar, 370cc t25 setup, lead fotting it everywhere... my drive to work or school takes 15 minutes and is about 10 highway then the last 5 is stop and go.
I recently fixed the idle and fixed timing (was at 5*) and set it to 15 and now i have gotten 25mpg the last tank... now im hitting milage that im supposed to get =) I wanna see what the next tank yields
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.