SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I can fix anything, make just about anything, but what the F**k's up with my gas millage? I only get about 200 miles to the tank. I've done plugs,wires,cap,rotor,timed,egr/btp pipe,O2 sensor,ground wire on MAF,cleaned intake.did I miss anything? I used to get 300 miles to the tank.and just all of a sudden BAM bye bye gas......

any answers needed....and yes I've gone back and forth the SE-R net...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Could be a cloged cat? Or lighten up on the right foot?
Sounds like you have done about everything, changed the fuel filter? Any other abnormal things going on? Sputtering or stuff like that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I havent changed the filter yet.but,it don't sputer or anything in fact it runs real good.I just put an HKS cat back on to quiet it down cat was still good and clear I take my cat off every once and a while because I have a cat pipe
.It's really driving me nuts..stuck open injector maybe?

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 93 SE-R and I've been having the same problems off and on-I've changed the O2 sensor, spark plugs, wires fuel filter and PCV valve; The "cat" is unclogged. However, I might have some more serious problems brewing-lately my car started making a loud "whirring" noise, this after my car pegged itself(thank god for rev limiters) accelerating onto the highway. Clutch?Timing Belt? Could be either-either one might be contributing to my degraded mileage. And no, my car was running quite strong before this happened.

G

·
0 Posts
I can tell you its not the timing belt
Seems like you have done most everything I can think of. I know it's a long shot, but it could be an optical illusion. One of my old cars had trouble with the sensor in the tank and told me my tank was empty when it still was half full.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea my fuel guage is off as well. Very common to classics. It will read almost to the E line and then I can only get like 9 gallons in, 13.2 gallon tank. So let it get down on the guage then fill up and check to see what the pump says, dont forget to reset your trip meter so you can keep tabs on your mileage. If nothing else it could be another faulty O2 sensor, or wireing...all kinds of other things, see if there is a disel shop around your place that cleans injectors. They can check them to see if everything is good with them as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Dudes...I'm seriously conteplating selling my Classic SOON! If you guys knew the **** I've went through in the last week with this car, you'd probably want to light the f**ker on fire like I do right now! I've never had a car that had so many freakin' problems with just about every facet of the car- from the radio to the damn engine!! I don't know, I just want something that just starts up and drives once in awhile without having to F**K with something...I don't think I'm asking much, am I?

·
Registered
858 Posts
don't give up on her man ,just get the fsm and learn . you'll end up enjoying fixing up your own joint and saving money.sr20 de's are really not too complicated as far as maintenance. and 91 se-r check the fuel level sensor like Brian said.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 02-28-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Yes Redman, you are correct in saying that the Classic is pretty accessable as far as maintenance goes, but give me a break....This car is kinda like the MGB of the 90's-Great car when it's running properly, but not too often. Maybe I just bought one with a shitload of mechanical problems to begin with(I did have it checked before I bought it, and everythings been breaking the last month or so), so who knows? I am probably going to get another car regardless, because of the amount of miles I'll have to drive in my new position, and with the fact there will be some carpooling, I really dont think four people will want to be stuffed into a Sentra for a two hour drive somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts