SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my SR20 powered 1995 240, everything in my gauge cluster works except the sppedometer and no one around where i live has been able to figure out the problem. Any ideas?? (Cheap fix i hope!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
check your ECU, its your RPM Signal. The wire is cut.
Easy way to find out is to check out if you can run past 5kRPM in fifth.
Somebody cut the wire before you bought it so they could bypass the Cut Off signal. It makes your Speedometer not work. If you want to keep the 'cut off' um...cut off. then just buy a switch from home depot or a hobby shop and attach it to the wire. Hit the switch whenever you want to go past 5krpm.
Or just wire it back up and enjoy knowing how fast your going exactly=)

Eitherw way....its most likely the wire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Crono1321 said:
I think you can just cut the 5th gear speed sensor or whatever; you can still see the mph, just don't have the speed cut.
no, its not a speed cut. Its a RPM cut.
The gear sensors let the ECU know which gear your in. 4th gear and 5th gear have RPM cut offs. If you unplug these sensors, the ECU wont know the difference in the gear your in for RPM Cut off.

The PIN for the RPM Signal come from the Speedometer. If the wire is cut then the ECU will never recieve the RPM reading, therefor, you'll never get a speed cut. If you unplug the 5th and 4th gear sensor along with it then that reading will also not come in. Leaving you with no RPM Cut.

The RPM PIN might work alone but from what i've heard, the Gear Sensors must also be disconnected.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
pull the sensor and see if the teeth are gone. You can also test it while its pulled out with a voltmeter and see if it is putting any voltage out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts