SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has 70,000 miles. Is it time to change the oil in the gearbox? Sometimes it feels like it's hard to get it in gear. What kind should I get and what's the procedure to change it?

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Its time to change it at 60000. A lot of people use redline MT-90. Motul 300 is talked about also. You need 4 quarts.

Jack car up, use jackstands and blocks.

Its easy to change. But you need a 1/2 socket. I got a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter. The 1/2 socket (yes, use the actual socket) removes the tranny drain bolt. The fluid comes out pretty quickly and shoots somewhat sideways, so be ready. The socket is on the drivers side of the tranny.
While it is draining (slowly by this time), remove the bolt in front. This is the fill bolt, and yes, it is horizontal. Buy 3 ft of 3/8 inch tubing and a funnel that can fit in the tube.
When the fluid is done draining, put the bolt back in. I don't remember the torque spec. I used a little grey RTV on the threads.
Now add 4 quarts through the funnel/tube. Remove tube, Torque bolt, go drive.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I'll answer that

I think you notice the biggest difference in the winter. Shifting is much easier in cold temps.

Generally, in regular temperatures, the car is also easier to shift, but the difference isn't as radical. I find that downshifting into first (which is rare, but...) is much easier.

It's worthwhile doing. However, it's a subtle thing. Don't expect jawdropping results or anything.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think you notice the biggest difference in the winter. Shifting is much easier in cold temps.</font>
Hell yes. It also makes rev matching a little easier if the moron who owned the car before you wore out the synchros on 2nd gear.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The fluid comes out pretty quickly and shoots somewhat sideways, so be ready</font>
What I did this last time was to take 2 1gallon milk jugs and cut the top off (but leave the handle intact). This gives you plenty of space for the fluid to shoot into.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
[BWhat I did this last time was to take 2 1gallon milk jugs and cut the top off (but leave the handle intact). This gives you plenty of space for the fluid to shoot into.[/B]</font>
Lol...i read this and did not have visions of trany fluid...ewww..

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts