SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone looked into getting their own cam cut from a steel billet? I have read what MikeK says about needing to get the correct Nissan billet so that that components dont wear excesively on each other. How much is this true and to what extent? What other sort of issues should I be aware of (other than stronger valve springs). A company in Brisbane Australia have told me they are happy to create a custom cam for me. I will be moving to Brisbane shortly so I thought I might aswell drop in for a chat. These guys have been making camshafts for around 30 years so they are well respected and knowledegable. They haven't worked on an sr20ve cam before though they do have 8 normal sr20 cams from mild to very wild.

What sort of profile do you guys think would make for a good cam in the sr20ve? Should I just go for a n1 cam copy or go a bit wilder?

Im only speculating at the moment, and due to moving, i probably wont go ahead until after xmas with this. I am just getting a bit sick of waiting for JWT, it seems to me they have missed their opportunity.

Cheers,
Gary

·
Whut?That Ain't No Hondah
2,558 Posts
I had an idea for this, but everyone jumped on the "Regrind cams are BAD" bandwagon. I say go for it. Had I found a VE near me, I would have gotten my own set of cams made up for it.

EDIT -- I have a K20 buddy who did a set of his own cams, and he recommends that you run a slightly heavier weight oil to help reduce wear. His cams have right around 10k miles, and no wear as of yet.

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
Just go to Kelford Cams in New Zealand. They will design and machine off of billet any cam you like. They also have a huge selection of off the shelf designs already.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Crim said:
I had an idea for this, but everyone jumped on the "Regrind cams are BAD" bandwagon. I say go for it. Had I found a VE near me, I would have gotten my own set of cams made up for it.

EDIT -- I have a K20 buddy who did a set of his own cams, and he recommends that you run a slightly heavier weight oil to help reduce wear. His cams have right around 10k miles, and no wear as of yet.
This is not a reground cam. Its machined from steel. Having said that, I know a car in sydney that runs a reground cam perfectly.

These guys have an sr20 cam with 308* duration with 0.475" lift

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
JimmyNX2000 said:
308* duration is somewhat similar to the Toda N1 camshafts... if not more agressive. the lift isnt really as high as some jwts though.
Seems very similar to the Toda N2 cams as well. 304 degree duration and with a 12.8mm lift (roughly .5inches). I would imagine the lift would have to be smaller since the duration is so long that with any higher lift you would be sending your piston strait into your valves. however, a 308* duration and a .475" lift sounds very formidable :eek2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts