SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a detail maniac, I am ordering new plush carpet for my hatch/trunk area. Check out the link below:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=92391

Just got off the phone with Griot's Garage. The are sending me a template kit so that the carpet will fit perfectly. I was concerned about the t-top/cargo straps, but Griot's assured me that if I mark off the locations on the template, they will have slits cut out and sewn in the appropriate locations. The quality should be much better than the cheesy carpet that came stock; it will be the same as Griot's floor mats, which I have and a few people on the forum can attest to the great quality.

I'll post pics when this is all done. It will take a couple of weeks at least.

Steve

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Cool, keep us updated please. I guess this could be done for classic trunks also. Did they estimate the cost for you?

·
8,148 Posts
I just did my entire hatch cover and two side panels over with speaker carpet. (Grey/black) It looks unbelievable. I will do my subs and the rest of the hatch the same color scheme. 3M makes a great trim/headliner adhesive.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They didn't estimate a cost, but the price is $99 and up, and the guy I spoke with was familiar with the NX. Since it is a small area, he thinks it will be at or close to the $99 minimum. When I send in the template, they will let me know for sure and I'll post the price. I will also find out if they can keep my template on file in case any other NX owners want to order to save time. Of course, this would depend on how well I create the template. :D

paNX2K&SE-R said:
Cool, keep us updated please. I guess this could be done for classic trunks also. Did they estimate the cost for you?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea, but they are sending a giant piece of paper. I can trace an outline pretty well, and I don't want to be without the carpet for a few weeks; the rain in NJ has to end sooner or later and then it's t-top season. :D Need the carpet to rest the t-tops on.

R0b_ said:
why don't you just send in the factory carpet, thus assuring a perfect fit with T-top cuts and everything?

·
Banned
656 Posts
I also got sick of mine and made my own. Took the stock carpet and traced it onto 1/4 plywood. Cut that out and covered it with speaker carpet. Took me all of 1.5 hours tops. Could also hinge it in the middle for easy access to spare tire well, but I didn't bother!

·
Registered
493 Posts
pretty white... for such a clean car on the outside it looks like your trunk is chalked full of crap. a roll of papertowels.. man!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty White,

Looks good, but I'm not talking about the package shelf, I am ordering new carpet for the trunk floor.

Steve

·
8,148 Posts
cruceno21 said:
pretty white... for such a clean car on the outside it looks like your trunk is chalked full of crap. a roll of papertowels.. man!
Oh shut your trap! :rolleyes: I was very busy that day Thank You! As soon as I get the chance, I am bolting a papertowel roll under the hatch cover. As a matter of fact I will go do it as soon as I press reply so there! :tongue: :mad: ;) :cool: I will take pics for you ASAP

·
Registered
493 Posts
maybe you can make and sell some trunk deck covers with a built in papertowel roll and maybe even a cut out in the top to dispense tissues... Ha!

Too funny. Good stuff.

·
8,148 Posts
The trunk and backseat is cleaned out now.
cruceno21 said:
maybe you can make and sell some "trunk deck covers with a built in papertowe roll©" and maybe even a cut out in the top to dispense tissues... Ha!

Too funny. Good stuff.
SHUT

YOUR

TRAP!! :eek:
See above Quote. Don't try and steal my idea! :cool:

BTW, your doorpanels are leather wrapped? I am looking for perforated leather to do mine next week and I wanted to know how it sticks and if it lifts in the crease like I was told it may do.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah it lifts in the crease... I want to redo mine in the perforated leather as well but I heard that makes it peel worse in other applications. A friend of mine helped me with the install who does Marine seats. The place where it peels the worst is at the end of the door panel closest to the back of the car.

We are going to try to use a leather piping in the crease to trim it out. I never found a good size and contrasting color to use and then I forgot about it... We thought that would help so you might to think about that.

Opps.. looks like we are stealing this thread...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The new carpet just came in from Griot's Garage and it is AWESOME! Excellent quality, as I was expecting. It didn't take that long, which you might think since it's around 2 months since I first posted this. Took me forever to get around to doing the template, but only about 2 weeks to get the carpet in once the template was approved. The "pass-thru" notches for the tie-downs are perfect, the carpet is plush and the edges are bound very strongly. The cost was $99 plus shipping. My only complaint would be that I should have went a tiny bit bigger so the carpet is more flush with the edges of the hatch area. I traced the OE carpet onto the template and I didn't really notice that the OE carpet isn't a perfect fit.

If you want to order one, I am sure Griot's will let you use my template, or you can do your own, maybe to get closer to the edges.

I took a bunch of pics tonight and I will download them from work tomorrow.

Cheers,
Steve

·
8,148 Posts
Pretty White said:
Oh shut your trap! :rolleyes: I was very busy that day Thank You! As soon as I get the chance, I am bolting a papertowel roll under the hatch cover. As a matter of fact I will go do it as soon as I press reply so there! :tongue: :mad: ;) :cool: I will take pics for you ASAP
Fast Foward 2 months:
I kept my promise! Don't cry for me Argentina!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Freak is definitely accurate. ;) :D
nj20de said:
I remember my dad telling me that you were a griots freak ;).

·
8,148 Posts
DAMN thats nice. Beats the carpet I cut out and put in my truck floor. I bet you have new car smell too! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts